Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Carving tool - what is it called?

  1. #1

    Carving tool - what is it called?

    I have this carving tool that I got with other old carving tools. Anyone know what it's called, and what it's intended purpose is?
    Ed Schutz
    Renovated Radios LLC
    I live in the Mitten!

  2. #2
    Dandelion puller?
    Cuticle Pusher?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Wayland, MA
    See correct answers below!

    Looks like a spoon bent chisel for deep excavation. Or something yet more exotic. If you can read the Pfeil number on it you can probably look it up (It's got the Pfeil "Swiss Made" trademark)
    Last edited by roger wiegand; 09-23-2023 at 9:58 AM. Reason: incorrect answer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Connecticut Shoreline
    Pfeil still makes that tool. Woodcraft calls it an Abegglen detail knife. I have one and I like it for setting out and controlled undercutting. Also for touching up carved lettering, getting into the serifs. Woodcraft lists it for $75.99 for the smallest of the 3 sizes they make.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    SW Missouri
    Good to know its real name. "Hooked skew" is what I've always called it. I have the Ashley Iles and OCC Tools versions.

    Edit: I found some videos of the Abegglen detail knife in use:
    Last edited by Dave Keele; 09-23-2023 at 6:45 AM. Reason: Additional info
    .... Dave

    Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

  6. #6
    Thanks David. It's my favorite carving tool.
    Ed Schutz
    Renovated Radios LLC
    I live in the Mitten!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts