Thread: Another Fake Pottery Piece

Another Fake Pottery Piece

Another Fake Pottery Piece that I've completed. It's a copy Of Hopi Potter Joy Navasie, she's a
    descendant of Fanny Nampeyo from AZ. This I turned from Hackberry, size is 17" D. x 6" H.,
    I could not find a pattern name. This also was painted with Acrylic water colors using a Wrico
    pen and brush work. Question, comments always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Really nice, is that painted with a air brush?

Jim, That's a very lovely piece of work and nice form as well.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

No, not an airbrush, I use a Wrico Pen & artist brushes. The Wrico pen is somewhat like a fountain pen except it has cylindrical
    points. Best description would be similar to a hypodermic needle with a shaft that fits inside the hollow needle. It's a very old
    item that draftsman used to ink drawings. I think they were invented in 1929. They're sometimes on Ebay.
    Hope this description is helpful? Thank you.

These are stunning. Call you tell us something more about the process you follow?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Again, excellent. Your patterns are spot on.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Beautiful work Jim! Your eye for detail never ceases to amaze!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mr. Morgan et al. I finish turn to shape, sand inside & out. I then apply a coat of Gesso, sand with 220, apply a 2nd coat of Gesso
    followed by sanding with 320. I then apply 2 coats of "LT Moca Acrylic water color with a brush. After a drying period I spray a
    lite coat of Krylon workable fixative to the exterior. This later coat allows me to layout pencil lines which are much easier to change
    due to errors! I concentrate on 1 section at a time, I pencil-in the outline then I overlay a small pc of thin tracing paper & trace
    my pencil lines onto the tracing paper. I then cutout the outline & using small pcs of tape to hold in place I transfer the outline onto
    cereal box cardstock. I also cut out a smaller copy of the same pattern, glue the two together & tape to fit the contour of the area
    I'm working on. After this drys I load up my Wrico Pen with the approbate color & use the template to apply the lines. If I
    have an area that's maybe painted Red I will first apply the red with a small brush then position the card template in place
    & apply the black outline using the Wrico pen. I hope this gives some idea of how I apply the colors/patterns?

My question was going to be ‘how do you get your curves so smooth and continuous’? I think I get it now. Thanks!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adkins View Post
    Mr. Morgan et al. I finish turn to shape, sand inside & out. I then apply a coat of Gesso, sand with 220, apply a 2nd coat of Gesso
    followed by sanding with 320. I then apply 2 coats of "LT Moca Acrylic water color with a brush. After a drying period I spray a
    lite coat of Krylon workable fixative to the exterior. This later coat allows me to layout pencil lines which are much easier to change
    due to errors! I concentrate on 1 section at a time, I pencil-in the outline then I overlay a small pc of thin tracing paper & trace
    my pencil lines onto the tracing paper. I then cutout the outline & using small pcs of tape to hold in place I transfer the outline onto
    cereal box cardstock. I also cut out a smaller copy of the same pattern, glue the two together & tape to fit the contour of the area
    I'm working on. After this drys I load up my Wrico Pen with the approbate color & use the template to apply the lines. If I
    have an area that's maybe painted Red I will first apply the red with a small brush then position the card template in place
    & apply the black outline using the Wrico pen. I hope this gives some idea of how I apply the colors/patterns?
    Thank you for the description! One more question (I know it's clichéd, but I can't resist): about how much time do you have invested in each of these pieces?

Again, I cannot say anything too praiseworthy about your work!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Mr. Morgan......To answer your ?? "about how much time do you have invested?" I've never kept track of my
    time I spend on these. I'm usually working on 2 or more at one time due to getting bored or encounter a problem
    so that's about the only viable answer I can give you at this time. Thanks for asking.