Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Move from 15" to Dewalt 13" planer?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    One thing I've read - don't have and never used a DeWalt 735 - is, if you're using good dust/chip collection, remove the impeller on the integral fan. Doesn't make a huge difference but it helps. The fan is there for people that don't have suitable dust collection. Again, no first hand experience with it.
    There have been several reports of the motor overheating on Dewalt 735 machines where the user has removed the impeller fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    One thing I've read - don't have and never used a DeWalt 735 - is, if you're using good dust/chip collection, remove the impeller on the integral fan. Doesn't make a huge difference but it helps. The fan is there for people that don't have suitable dust collection. Again, no first hand experience with it.
    Mines gone, and I've swapped to top ejection. I don't know if it helps with the noise, but I haven't had to reset the overload switch in a while.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I pulled the fan and noted no difference in sound levels. Perhaps a little less efficient dust collection when hooked up to my Oneida mini-gorilla. I have recorded db levels in the 105 to 108 range when planing wood with the 735 - my family above me would cringe. Great planer that screams.

Also removing the impeller will save about 2 amps, less likely to trip the internal breaker.

I think it was Jim Toplin in one of his books said he gave up his stationary planer for a benchtop model which he kept in the rafters and lowered with pulleys when he needed it.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Unpopular opinion: The DeWalt 734 is just as good as the 735, but at a cheaper cost. The advantages of the 735 (build in eject fan) and two speeds aren't enough to justify the price different, IMHO. The 735's build in dust ejection fan is a nice feature, IF you don't own a dust collector already. Even if you don't, the HF $200 special is going to be a better option. The dual speeds are nice, but not really necessary. In this case the 734 also shaves about 20# off the weight.