Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworkers in Africa: 500,000 Years Ago

Regarding the wood, wood decays from exposure to oxygen. As an example, there is ancient Kauri. This wood is salvaged from bogs/swamps and is on average 30k -50k years old. It is not petrified and can be worked as normal.
    Here is one of many articles (believe it or not)
    https://woodstockap.com/product-cate...nt-kauri-wood/

What's crazy is that this, if correct, predates Neanderthals. Which, with a larger brain, there are many scientists who believe that Neanderthals were actually smarter than modern day humans. But this date would put that wood in period of Homo heidelbergensis and Homo erectus, both of which had significantly smaller brains than either us or Neanderthals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    What's crazy is that this, if correct, predates Neanderthals. Which, with a larger brain, there are many scientists who believe that Neanderthals were actually smarter than modern day humans. But this date would put that wood in period of Homo heidelbergensis and Homo erectus, both of which had significantly smaller brains than either us or Neanderthals.
    So what you're saying is, all you need is a small brain to be a woodworker

Come to think of it, I have seen evidence of this from time to time in YouTube videos, maybe there is a genealogical connection.

Also, the article explains the method used to date the pieces found.

I think I have a few abandoned woodworking projects that predate this discovery.

The article mentions tools found with the beams. If they could imagine and make tools, notching a couple of logs doesn't seem like a big leap.

Just finished Sphere by Michael Crichton. One of the lines paraphrased was "Imagination is what advances us over the rest of the species on the planet, not the use of tools" But if this article is correct that is pretty amazing.

There is a fine, almost non existant line, between imagination for creative invention and problem solving invention out of necessity. I'm not sure one can exist without the other,, at least to some small degree.