Thread: WTB Lie-Nielsen Bronze No. 3

WTB Lie-Nielsen Bronze No. 3

Looking for a Lie-Nielsen Bronze No. 3
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I've also had my eye out for one of this size for some time, as I like the way the No. 3's fit my smaller hands. These seem to be the rarest of the four bronze bench planes!

Good luck in your search.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    Looking for a Lie-Nielsen Bronze No. 3
    You're in luck - perhaps. Depends only on the depth of your wallet.

Mint condition - Jim Bode

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collect...handles-108972
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Just noticed a significant price increase on some LN planes. I’ve got bronze and iron LNs; granted, the bronze versions are prettier, but there is no difference in performance between bronze and iron (the weight difference of the #3 is 0.5lbs, iron being lighter). If I wanted a LN #3, I’d jump on the in stock iron version before they raise the price on it as well. Considering the issues they’re having with setting up their in-house bronze foundry, it may be a long wait and a lot of $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You're in luck - perhaps. Depends only on the depth of your wallet.

Mint condition - Jim Bode

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collect...handles-108972
    I love how Bode rates and prices his items. Check out the scratches on the sole of the plane. Mint condition? I think not.

I agree with Stephen!! I have bought and sold several LN planes while slowly accumulating my keepers. The prices, both from LN and the secondary market have risen significantly. There are more bronze No 1s in the wild than there are 3s. Ultimately, LN will produce a bronze 3 and while more expensive than it was last year when they were available, it won’t approach Bode’s price. Get the iron model and you will be able to recoup most if not all of the cost a year from now when hopefully you can get a bronze from LN.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I love how Bode rates and prices his items. Check out the scratches on the sole of the plane. Mint condition? I think not.
    Your issue is semantics? Not the nine bills needed? Your version of "mint" must be "unused" which is fine with me.

He sells a lot of stuff at pretty heady prices, so he must have the lingo dialed in to communicate with the the market he's going after. As in - that plane is sold.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have several stanleys with pmv-11 blades that work great. I must admit it is the esthetics of the Bronze that makes me want it (as much as I hate to admit it)
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    I have several stanleys with pmv-11 blades that work great. I must admit it is the esthetics of the Bronze that makes me want it (as much as I hate to admit it)
    Eh, that was the main driver for me to get bronze in the 3 and 4. No shame.