Thread: best anti slip treatment for fiberglass shower

best anti slip treatment for fiberglass shower

My sister in law needs to make her fiberglass shower less slippery. Has anyone used a product that worked well for them and would recommend. A google search only listed sales of them, not a review or comparison. Thanks for your feedback.

One of those rubber or silicone mats with suction cups on the back side. Good grip underfoot and they don't slip around in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    One of those rubber or silicone mats with suction cups on the back side. Good grip underfoot and they don't slip around in the shower.
    That's what I used when I had my hip replacement and was concerned about falling after surgery - worked very well.

We tried a couple of different mats and they seem to grow mold or stink after a few months. Even if we cleaned them weekly

Blog Entries
    3M sells a grip tape that works very well in tubs. It isn't sandpaper like at all, just has a pebbled grippy surface. We've used it for several years and it hasn't peeled off.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Cut it out and convert it to tile. I have three more to do this Winter in this rental house. This was a 1974 green fiberglass bathtub.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tried a couple of different suction type mats and they work well but are a pain to clean as others have already mentioned.

Then I used the 3M product that Frank linked to in my fiberglass base walk in shower. The strips have been in place for 8 years with no problems. I think the biggest problem folks have when using an adhesive product like this is not taking the time to cut the ends round since 90 degree corners tend to catch on something and start coming up. I used the 2 inch wide strips and spaced them 2 inches apart which is easy to do using a strip that still has the backing paper on.

In our main bathroom, we have a tub with 2 grab bars and we use a silicon bath mat. After each use, we dry the tub and shower and hang the bath mat over one of the grab bars. Over a period of years, the bathmat tore and had to be replaced but no mold, mildew, etc.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

40 grit PSA wet/dry sandpaper ought to do it. Or waterproof skid tape if your fancy…

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    In our main bathroom, we have a tub with 2 grab bars and we use a silicon bath mat. After each use, we dry the tub and shower and hang the bath mat over one of the grab bars. Over a period of years, the bathmat tore and had to be replaced but no mold, mildew, etc.
    Yup, dry mats won't form mold or mildew.

While I have said the suction mats worked very well, I think for the best safety the situation also should be evaluated for grab bars and installed if useful as well as underfoot aids. There is nothing like being able to steady oneself with a hand when on a questionable surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    While I have said the suction mats worked very well, I think for the best safety the situation also should be evaluated for grab bars and installed if useful as well as underfoot aids. There is nothing like being able to steady oneself with a hand when on a questionable surface.
    Absolutely consider grab bars at the entrance/exit of showers, especially if you're not 25 years old and haven't been for a long time.

Blog Entries
    These, they are clear pebbled plastic: Added them to my stair treads. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 Also rated for showers.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-23-2023 at 12:01 PM.
    NOW you tell me...