Thread: HNT Gordon Planes New in Box

HNT Gordon Planes New in Box

I recently acquired a substantial collection of HNT Gordon planes. These are absolutely beautiful planes made in Australia of Australian Gidgee and brass by the master plane maker Terry Gordon. These planes are in new/unused condition and come with the original boxes and packaging (some are even packaged with bits of Australian newspaper!). These rarely come up for sale, and almost never come up for sale in new/unused condition. I am offering these planes at roughly 80% of the retail price, plus shipping. PayPal goods/services preferred. If you are interested, please include you zip code in your private message so I can come up with shipping quote.

Dado Planes:

1/8”: $388
    1/4”: $388
    3/4”: $399

[IMG][/IMG]

Skew Rabbe/Rebatet Planes:

1/2”: $164
    3/4”: $172
    1”: $192

[IMG][/IMG]

Snipe Bill Planes (Pair)

Pair: $432

[IMG][/IMG]

Side Round Planes (Pair)

Pair: $345

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have decided to lower the prices on these planes: I am offering them now at 66% of retail price, as follows:

Dado Planes:

1/8”: $320
    1/4”: $320
    3/4”: $333

Skew Rabbet/Rebate Planes:

1/2”: $135
    3/4”: $142
    1”: $158

Snipe Bill Planes (Pair): $356

Side Round Planes (Pair): $285
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 09-22-2023 at 1:52 PM.

Dado planes have been sold. Other planes still available.

The snipes bill and dado planes have been sold. All other planes still available.

640 views: Brand New in Box, 66% of retail: a single inquiry after 1 week: what am I missing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    640 views: Brand New in Box, 66% of retail: a single inquiry after 1 week: what am I missing?
    They are beautiful and I wish you had posted them when I was looking for a snipes bill set, but I found a good set already. It’s just a specialty item that requires a specialty buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I had 3 HNT Gordon planes that I purchased at an estate sale, 2 brand new in box, the other I subjected to a few test cuts. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a wood plane guy, so it took only those few test cuts to make me realize I’d be better off selling them. I tried here on the classifieds for a while, offering them at the prices I had paid which were significantly discounted from retail, eventually selling one. The other 2 went to eBay; it took 5 repostings and a few price reductions to sell them.

So I guess I agree with Malcom. They’re beautiful planes but highly specialized and somewhat pricey. In other words, a very limited market. But your prices are attractive so I think they’ll eventually sell, albeit perhaps on eBay.

Malcolm/Stephen: appreciate the feedback. I am new to HNT Gordon planes and really had no idea how popular they were among sawmillcreek woodworkers (or woodworkers on other forums for that matter). There is apparently less demand for these than I had originally anticipated. I have listed the remaining planes on ebay so time will tell. Based on very limited time using a couple of them (I had to keep two for myself) I am very impressed with the workmanship and their performance. There is a bit of a learning curve however, and I can see how some/many might be dissuaded from adopting their use. However, in short order, I am getting the hang of setting them up: that's the first big hurdle. As far as productively using them, I am a strong advanced beginner at this point, but I have the feeling they will be long term users and not dust collectors. We shall see. Thanks again for the feedback.

The 1" rebate plane has been sold.

1/2" Rabbet has been sold.

Items still available:

Side Round Pair

3/4" Rabbet

3/4" Rabbet has been sold: only remaining item is the Pair of Side Round Planes

Final price drop: Pair of Side Round Planes: $265 plus shipping.

I received the planes I purchased from this listing. I appreciate the nice deal and excellent service. Thanks Phil!