Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a mini table saw

Looking to buy a mini table saw

I would like to get a mini table saw for craft projects. I'm starting to do some kumiko panels. Since all the panels are less than 1/2" thick a mini saw would be ideal. I think a 12"x12" mini saw would be perfect for such fine work.If you have used a mini saw and like it for small projects like this I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Professor Dr. SWMBO's one sister has one and likes it, but since she lives in Spain, I've never seen it up close and personal. (She bought it for doll houses and other things when she's not doing reproduction Barbie outfits) I believe her's is Proxon brand, or something like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It sounds like you're looking for a model makers tablesaw
    Many of the modeling forums have threads on these tools

if you want the best, google : byrnes model machines
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

As mentioned, Proxxon is a maker of such tools. There's also a catalog company I think called Micro-tools. But if you want cheap, Harbor Freight has a mini table saw, with I think a 3-4 inch blade.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The very best table saw I ever came up with for precision model-making type projects is an ancient 8" Sears tilt-table machine I've owned for many decades. Heavy cast iron construction. I installed a 4-1/2" 40-tooth thin-kerf carbide blade on it and a new oversize Baldor motor. It is so smooth and precise.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    When I was visiting a boat building exhibit in Beaufort,NC I noticed they had a model building shop on the second floor balcony. The guy in there was using the smallest table saw I had ever seen. He told me it was a Dremel. Might be worth looking into.

I have nothing to add re small table saw but if the concern is cutting thin stock - 1/4" or less - I find the Freud Diablo 7 1/4" 40 tooth blades with zero clearance insert used on a table saw smoother and less aggressive than the 10" 60 tooth blade I have. Certainly not for production use but for occasional cuts on thin stock it works pretty well.

I have the Dremel table saw. I bought it 30 years ago at an Ernst Home Center. It uses a 4" blade. Micro Mark sells blades for it still, either a standard 20 tooth steel blade or a 40 tooth carbide blade. The carbide blade is amazing - it gives glue-ready joints right off the saw.

Not that you should, but I have cut 3/4" red oak at 45 degrees with this saw. It is slow-going but the cut was clean with no burning. The saw is best with 1/2" or thinner stock. The carbide blade is great for plywood and mdf.

Micro Mark sells their own small table saw as well. Micro Lux table saw

A favorite of the older iron crowd is a Hammond Trim-O-Saw. They were used for lead type in the printing trade, smaller and very accurate, with a sliding table.
    Terry T.

Im not recommending this, the price is kind of out there, but have you guys seen the new festool cordless? It would work for what you are speaking of but $1500 is a little crazy if your not an installer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KEC-vvM_4

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Im not recommending this, the price is kind of out there, but have you guys seen the new festool cordless? It would work for what you are speaking of but $1500 is a little crazy if your not an installer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KEC-vvM_4
    "A little" crazy?

Can't see a huge need for a battery-operated table saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    "A little" crazy?

I think the market is for someone doing one day installs of kitchen cabinets. Its not actually as crazy as I expected before looking it up when you compare it to their domino or edgebander.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I would like to get a mini table saw for craft projects. I'm starting to do some kumiko panels. Since all the panels are less than 1/2" thick a mini saw would be ideal. I think a 12"x12" mini saw would be perfect for such fine work.If you have used a mini saw and like it for small projects like this I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
    I am also interested in a mini-table saw for kumiko purposes. Please report back with what you end up and how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post

There are already several battery operated saws from other names being used in the field...the value within a woodworking shop is certainly a lot less, but for the large population of contractors that work "on site", the migration to battery operated "everything" has been in full swing for quite some time now. The Festool offering isn't for everyone, but it has features not available on any other product, to the best of my knowledge. That's going to be valuable to folks who do installs and quality trim carpentry for sure.

Now for the OP's application...it's still not what was asked for, but for repeatable precision, some folks might bite.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...