Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy a mini table saw

The Bridge City Joint Maker Pro with the precision fence would be ideal for kumiko. Nice and quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...for the large population of contractors that work "on site", the migration to battery operated "everything" has been in full swing for quite some time now...
    Jim, I am not an expert on contractor site work, but understand that a power pole is one of the first things installed on a building site. Of course there are exceptions with people building off the grid. Young guys coming into the trades might think that battery-powered everything is a must-have. Not sure how this thinking ever got promoted. But, if someone needs a stationary machine, like a table saw, it seems that running power to it should not be a problem.

Perhaps the fact that companies like Festool are actually marketing them proves me wrong.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Reinhard in Switzerland make a nice little saw.
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 192240.jpgScreenshot 2023-09-19 192420.jpg Screenshot 2023-09-19 192514.jpgScreenshot 2023-09-19 192547.jpg

Precision circular saw type PKN 200 small, high-precision all-rounder

Its features:

-longitudinal stop, speed and blade height with digital display -infinitely
    variable speed
    -sliding table up to 400mm
    -circular saw blade 0 200mm
    -blade height max. 53mm
    -minimum quantity lubrication
    Price from CHF 23,156.00 ( approximately $25,800.00 USD

Lol!!!

Hammond, I'd 'forgotten' about. Was on my list for small stuff.

I started with with a Dewalt contractor saw. Plastic base ... did what I needed ...

Ironically... I think I did more with it then I've done since I replaced it with a Felder 700.

A workbench... combined with a borrowed 4" craftsman jointer ... pretty nice I think.

My dad's 8" Craftsman on a pretty slick plywood base cabinet was 'productive' ..

Andy, while many building sites do have power at some point, contractors are embracing battery operated tools big-time because they are more flexible to position and move around and don't have tails to trip over. The latter is the same thing that has moved them from pnumatic nailers to battery or gas operated nailers. The site power is leveraged for charging stations, etc. Even jobsite lighting has moved to battery power...Milwaukee has some pretty nifty solutions for that. Milwaukee and Makita (and I believe other brands) have been selling battery operated table saws for sometime now, especially since they have worked out higher voltage/multi-battery setups that can handle ripping 2x stock with ease. Festool is not first to the party, but as can be expected, they added some additional finesse with their new portable offering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Because I will be using the mini saw mostly for making kerf cuts I plan to buy an inexpensive saw. Amazon has many that would serve my needs for under $100.00. I'm going to do more research before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andy, while many building sites do have power at some point, contractors are embracing battery operated tools big-time because they are more flexible to position and move around and don't have tails to trip over. The latter is the same thing that has moved them from pnumatic nailers to battery or gas operated nailers. The site power is leveraged for charging stations, etc. Even jobsite lighting has moved to battery power...Milwaukee has some pretty nifty solutions for that. Milwaukee and Makita (and I believe other brands) have been selling battery operated table saws for sometime now, especially since they have worked out higher voltage/multi-battery setups that can handle ripping 2x stock with ease. Festool is not first to the party, but as can be expected, they added some additional finesse with their new portable offering.
    Plus you don't have to deal with trying to find an outlet. When there's a power pole there's usually no free outlets. Then, of course, you have the roaming OSHA inspector who tells you that the cover on your extension cord has a nick and can't be on-site. The only downside to batteries is making sure you don't have yours walk away while charging out of your sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Plus you don't have to deal with trying to find an outlet. When there's a power pole there's usually no free outlets. Then, of course, you have the roaming OSHA inspector who tells you that the cover on your extension cord has a nick and can't be on-site. The only downside to batteries is making sure you don't have yours walk away while charging out of your sight.
    Oh come on! You still have to charge the batteries.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Oh come on! You still have to charge the batteries.
    He more or less said that...by expressing the real concern about batteries walking away by themselves (not!) while out of sight on a charger. That just takes good site management and hopefully a good charging setup in the contractor's work trailer or truck.
    --

The horrible fright mini saw is a piece of garbage. You have to see it in person to realize how bad. Under one amp power. No rip fence. Miter gauge is loose in the slot. does not really lock into place. I think it is a brush type super high rpm motor. Easy to push the blade to tilt it while locked? down.
    Think cheap tilesaw design.
    Bill D

I ended up buying the Harbor Freight mini tablesaw. I will only use it for kumiko projects It will only have to crosscut pieces that are at most 1/2" wide. No rip cuts. I wish the table was bigger. It is only a little over 4" square. We'll see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I wish the table was bigger. It is only a little over 4" square. We'll see how it works out.
    Embed it in a shop-made auxiliary table to provide more work surface.
    --