Thread: Vertical Line in glass etching

Vertical Line in glass etching

I recently have been having an issue with a vertical line appearing in my etching see attached. Doesn't happen every time but from what I see it appears to jump. I'm using a Universal VLS4.60.

Any Ideas as to what this is?

Brad Raynor

Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt
    Universal VLS4.75 75 Watt
    Laguna EX 200 Watt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Raynor View Post
    I recently have been having an issue with a vertical line appearing in my etching see attached. Doesn't happen every time but from what I see it appears to jump. I'm using a Universal VLS4.60.

Any Ideas as to what this is?

Brad Raynor

Laguna EX 200 Watt

The glass is slipping on your rotary. You can see that it's moved away a step or so from the main body of the engraving. If you were to be able to shift it over, it would fit perfectly.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Thank you, I didn't think that could be it as it was happening on different glassware and growlers in the same place. I will double check that the glassware is more secure.

Brad Raynor

Laguna EX 200 Watt

If slippage is a problem, go buy some bathroom shower anti slip strips and cut to size to fit the ends of your rotaries.
    They are cheap and work really well.
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Curtis View Post
    If slippage is a problem, go buy some bathroom shower anti slip strips and cut to size to fit the ends of your rotaries.
    They are cheap and work really well.
    Hasn't happened recently. Must have been slipping.

A test: if you have something you can use to test engrave the same image above: On screen, move the image an inch or so to the right, so 'the same place' also moves to the right in relation to the rotary's zero start point, so the entire engraving will be 1" farther right, requiring the rotary to move farther. Run a test engrave and hopefully the line will again happen...

IF the line still happens in the same place ON THE ENGRAVING itself, as in, thru the right-of-center portion of the 'n' and outer borders on the cup in your pic, then it's likely NOT a slippage problem, but a data issue of some sort...

BUT, if the line happens an inch farther left on the image, which in your pic would be approx between the 'c' and the 'o', that would tell you the problem is occurring in the same rotary-degrees-from-0-position, which would/should indicate some sort of mechanical issue, like a loose chuck/cone screw, etc...

but HOPEFULLY the problem doesn't happen again!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    A test: if you have something you can use to test engrave the same image above: On screen, move the image an inch or so to the right, so 'the same place' also moves to the right in relation to the rotary's zero start point, so the entire engraving will be 1" farther right, requiring the rotary to move farther. Run a test engrave and hopefully the line will again happen...

IF the line still happens in the same place ON THE ENGRAVING itself, as in, thru the right-of-center portion of the 'n' and outer borders on the cup in your pic, then it's likely NOT a slippage problem, but a data issue of some sort...

BUT, if the line happens an inch farther left on the image, which in your pic would be approx between the 'c' and the 'o', that would tell you the problem is occurring in the same rotary-degrees-from-0-position, which would/should indicate some sort of mechanical issue, like a loose chuck/cone screw, etc...

but HOPEFULLY the problem doesn't happen again!
    Thank you, I've been doing this for about 10 years, and I have had some items slip. This was happening periodically for a few days, and it appeared to be in the same area no matter what piece of glassware I had in the rotary. I will use your solution if it happened again.

Thx

-Brad