Thread: corner computer desk leg size

corner computer desk leg size

Planning on building a corner computer design. Basic design is to make it portable. Two corner table that are triangles, center section that can drop in between the two tables and holds the pull out keyboard, then the top. Short sides on the table bases @ 19-21" long.

I'm using plain sawn white oak. I am looking for comments suggestions on the leg size. I was thinking 2", I don't want it to bulky, but this puts me in a conundrum on how to glue up for a 2" square leg without a lot of waste. I'm thinking I can possibly get an 1-1/2" leg out of a glue up of two boards. To get the other 1/2" on the leg I would have to use a third board and this seems like a lot of waste and a larger leg feels almost to big for what I am building, but if I have to use 3 boards for a glue up then I would go to 2-1/4"?.

Feels like I talked myself into using 2-1/4" square legs.

Curious what you think.

Brian
    Brian

What about using 4/4 and mitering the corners. No glue line that way.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

2” square legs on a table that is 20” wide seems bulky to me. I’d go with something more like 1.5”, and taper it toward the bottom.

And +1 on Steve’s approach toward the fatter leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    What about using 4/4 and mitering the corners. No glue line that way.
    Already Have a bunch of white oak in stock I wanted to use. Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    2” square legs on a table that is 20” wide seems bulky to me. I’d go with something more like 1.5”, and taper it toward the bottom.

And +1 on Steve’s approach toward the fatter leg.
    On the individual table it may be, but assembled with the two tables, keyboard and top on I don't think it will? Thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    You could rip strips of oak that are 2" wide with 45 degree bevels on both sides, then flipping the board with each pass, then gluing up the four adjacent pieces to make a 2" square hollow leg. There would be very little wasted wood and the leg would be all face grain.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You could rip strips of oak that are 2" wide with 45 degree bevels on both sides, then flipping the board with each pass, then gluing up the four adjacent pieces to make a 2" square hollow leg. There would be very little wasted wood and the leg would be all face grain.
    Lee, now that's an idea. I was planning on domino joinery, would this affect the strength of the joint? Thanks brian
    Brian

When you make a leg from mitered pieces the joints are long grain so nothing beyond glue is needed. For clamping I use clear packaging tape wrapped around the assembly. It is stretchy so can provide a lot of clamping force as you wrap it around the leg.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I did a mock up of a 2" leg and my wife talked me into making it 1-1/2" square.
    Brian