Thread: Before I ask a thousand questions

Before I ask a thousand questions

I guess I'm a beginner again. I've had an old Rockwell lathe with the 3 Easywood tools for several years. Mostly made Roorkee chairs with it. I just got a great deal on a Powermatic with a bowl chuck that I'm keeping at my cabinet shop and I want to learn the HHS way. Is there a good resource that explains what all the tools do, the difference in 40 degree and 60 degree bevels, etc? I'm having a hard time finding a general overview that gives me enough confidence to order what I'll need to get started.
    Thanks
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Turnawoodbowl.com

HHS? There are lots of videos on Youtube - I think Brian Havens, Lyle Jamieson and Richard Raffan are particularly good- but you should really try to find a mentor for hands-on instruction. There is probably an AAW club chapter within striking distance. https://woodturner.org/Woodturner/Wo...2-ff55e5523609

As Kevin said, find a mentor. It will cut your learning time by 2/3. Maybe take a class at Woodcraft or Rockler? I have taught classes at Woodcraft and it's rewarding to see people light up when they get it! Woodturning with shearing cuts is about you and the tool, no aids for position or arm/hand control. That means there is much to learn and makes this the most difficult woodworking there is. Patience will be a must. Few tools will come ready to use. You need a grinder and sharpening system right away. A sharp tool is a necessity and you must learn that too, to be successful at turning. Wet wood just taken off the tree is the material to learn on. Wet wood fiber cuts smoothly and with more forgiveness than kiln dried wood. I must have 20-30 books on turning. When I started 38 years ago, my first year was miserable. In fact I parked my lathe in the corner and went back to making furniture. Then I went to a regional turning symposium and that was like an epiphany. The lathe came back out and here I am today. Thousands of dollars worth of lathes and tools, but have had a great run at selling work and paying for all the equipment. Good luck!

We didn't have a club for at least a year after I started turning. Once the club started, my learning curve went on an exponential up curve. Stuart Batty is another good source for videos. Most of his technique is geared towards turning on a long bed lathe. I have a bunch of videos up as well. Most of what I do is geared towards short bed/pivoting headstock lathes. I am not a big fan of the Turnawoodbowl channel.

robo hippy

If there is any One-Size-Fits-All anything in the world, it's "join a turning club". Courses are great but being in a club is like having access to a course all the time, not just for a few hours. I turned for a number of years (and thought I knew everything) before I joined a club. At the first meeting I was astounded at how much I had just learned.

Try contacting: https://artisticwoodturners.org/

That looks to be the closest AAW Chapter to you.

Dave

Find a mentor / join a club / take some lessons! My club's learn to turn class is roughly 15 hours of hands-on instruction and we just cover the basics of tool control and lathe safety. We make some small spindle projects, a platter, and a bowl during that time. No one comes away an expert but everyone leaves with a solid foundation upon which to practice.
    YouTube is a good place to get inspiration but not a great place for beginner instruction. You watch Richard Raffan a couple times and it is easy to come away believing that anyone can make a great bowl in 20 minutes. That said, I think the Craft Supplies channel on YouTube are a good source for basic (as well as more advanced) instructional videos. The problem with video instruction is there is no one to correct the inevitable faults and mistakes one will make.

I learn by reading. This is my go to reference and it's still available though the author died a couple years ago IIRC. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=woodturni..._ts-doa-p_1_17
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Agree on the club/mentor. Plenty of good video, but the videos couldn't help me figure out where MY actions were off (and still are, but to a lesser extent!!). Feedback from somebody watching me was much more helpful than me watching someone else.
    earl

Thank you for all of the replies! I'm going to attend the next meeting the Pensacola chapter of the AAW is having. Then I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions for you guys.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Good choice! Still, it will be better to direct the bulk of your questions to folks in person rather than the internet. As I was told early on, "Ask 4 turners for advice and you will be sure to get at least 5 opinions". All of the opinions are probably valid options, but may sound contradictory and thus, confusing.

Looking at the Pensacola chapter's website I don't see any mention of classes, but I would wager that you could get some solid mentorship (training!) from a member or two. Just ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Brantley View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies! I'm going to attend the next meeting the Pensacola chapter of the AAW is having. Then I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions for you guys.

Another vote for join a club. I guess many of us have a favorite book for woodturning and this is mine, well used, https://amzn.to/3ZPHBth If you like watching videos check out Richard Raffan's Youtube channel.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    Another vote for join a club. I guess many of us have a favorite book for woodturning and this is mine, well used, https://amzn.to/3ZPHBth If you like watching videos check out Richard Raffan's Youtube channel.
    Mike Peace's videos are pretty doggone good too!!

I often detest "how to" videos, Youtube or otherwise, when I want to find out some information and particularly if it is a computer "how to" question - a list of printed steps would be better in most cases.
    However, doing things like woodturning lends itself well to a video "how to" and in many cases better than JUST a book. Yes, I know some videos don't show proper technique and may have safety concerns.
    Club is always a good idea.