Thread: Commemorating September 11, 2001

Commemorating September 11, 2001

Historical events often get pushed to the side and sometimes forgotten as the years go by.
    There is now a generation that most likely does not know the significance of this date and many others that schools fail to provide information and details. It is important that we never forget those who serve and sacrifice on behalf of our country, especially our Armed Forces and First Responders. Thanks to all who have served and for the lives they have saved.

Flags are to be flown at half-staff today.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-11-2023 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is positively my least favorite day of all time. Very depressing. As bad as 11/22. I have studied the events of both of these days as thoroughly as possible and remain deeply depressed.

schools fail to provide information and details. . . .

I don't know of any schools have deleted the attack on the twin towers but, admittedly, i have not researched it. By chance, would those schools to which you refer be in Florida?

History has many high points but also some very low points. Neither should be ignored as we travel forward in our journey to make sense out of life.

Maurice, seems people still cannot agree re JFK's assassination.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-12-2023 at 11:13 AM.

I agree that the day should be remembered and that we should never forget those who serve and sacrifice.

I was teaching Middle School that day and was called to my door by n Administrator and told what was happening. In order to to keep the kids calm we carried on as normal as at the time it was unclear what was happening. In the subsequent days our teachers became one group who the kids came to for reassurance and stability. Our staff did a great job in my opinion and am proud of our handling as a District and a staff.

Keith, I have to be honest, I am offended how you could use this event to take a cheap shot at the schools. Schools are not the evil here, terrorism is. Schools are not the driver of every agenda political parties politics lead us to believe. If this post is deleted as "Political" then the original post should also be deleted. I take the post as political.
    Sorry, but I felt like I needed to speak my mind here.

I watched it live in the conference room at work. Every year I watch raw news clips so I stay pissed off. RIP to all the innocents. Hoping the hijackers are burning in hell. Perhaps not a very Christian approach but my faith tells me I’ll be forgiven. They won’t.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Deals will be negotiated over years to overcome reality.
    We can’t ,let the guilty suffer for ever ! There has to be , over time , reduced culpability. That will be done by BS . Over time there will be
    lots of books about how it “ was all a big misunderstanding “. Some think every evil deed had a legitimate grouse , and that’s ok for
    children’s books. There will always be serious history.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-12-2023 at 11:14 AM.

incredibly sad thing. I worked till five that night and got a call from another shop to get up and put the TV on.

We live in a world where 2 and 2 equals 5

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I watched it live in the conference room at work. Every year I watch raw news clips so I stay pissed off. RIP to all the innocents. Hoping the hijackers are burning in hell. Perhaps not a very Christian approach but my faith tells me I’ll be forgiven. They won’t.
    +1. I have to leave it at that because it makes me So. Damn. Angry.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I heard a story on the radio yesterday from US Marine Corps Boot Camp. Young people now enlisting in the Marines were not yet born in 2011. They can't literally remember 9/11. But the Marine Corps drill instructors were teaching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Keith, I have to be honest, I am offended how you could use this event to take a cheap shot at the schools. Schools are not the evil here, terrorism is. Schools are not the driver of every agenda political parties politics lead us to believe. If this post is deleted as "Political" then the original post should also be deleted. I take the post as political.
    Sorry, but I felt like I needed to speak my mind here.
    If nobody else is going to jump in on this comment than I will. I have been a member of this Forum for 20 years and the reason this forum still exists is that it was founded and led by Keith. It is a place to converse about woodworking and avoid politics, trolls, rude and vile comments.

I do not think his comments were an attack on teachers. It was an honest opinion of the how history is perceived and taught in many schools.

Anything said these days can and will offend someone. Coming from a family of teachers, I have seen how teachers are blamed for many things. I don’t believe that was his intentions. SMC has always been a clean, civil, and full of camaraderie.

Never Forget!

Let’s Roll - Todd Beamer

I never used the word "Teacher" in my post and for the record I don't blame teachers for any of the current problems our country is having educating our children. My wife Jackie retired from teaching just a couple of years ago so I do have some accurate information concerning the current status of the problems our educational institutions are experiencing. I have learned over the past 72 years how valuable History can be, it is the road map that leads right to our door today from our Colonial beginning, my family came from Scotland to the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 1634. No reason to discuss this further on my part so I don't go in a direction that would cause our comments to be removed other than to say that we should never forget the service and sacrifice of our American ancestors whose accomplishments were nothing short of amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    we should never forget the service and sacrifice of our American ancestors whose accomplishments were nothing short of amazing.
    Amen, Well said
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford