Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 post car hoist question

Do yourself a favor and get a couple jack stands. HF sells them for under $100 (last time I checked). Even though I made my slab to support my lift I still use one at each end of the vehicle just to be safe. On occasion I'll use them to support things, like if I'm swapping an axle on a truck. But I have a transmission jack for the lift that I'll use.

Jack stands are certainly an important safety item when one is using a jack to raise a vehicle for service. They are not really usable with the kind of lift that the OP is asking about becasue these lifts raise the vehicle several feet or more into the air. They do have some kind of safety pins/locks to insure they can't fall AFAIK, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last edited by Tom M King; 09-11-2023 at 12:31 PM.

What Tom linked are important to use under lifts if doing major component removal—engine, transmission, axles, etc. Many vehicles have poor weight distribution to begin with, and removing a large assembly can upset that balance enough for the vehicle to tip off the hoist’s pads. For instance, removing the rear axle of a pickup truck may be enough for it to tip forward due to the pickup already having an extreme forward weight bias.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

THanks for the clarification, Tom and Jason. Good to know, not that I'll ever be involved with that kind of thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My BendPak is an asymmetrical lift. I'm sure if I was a mechanic working on vehicles all the time and speed was important it might be different. The goal is to park the vehicle so it's as close to balanced as possible before lifting it (that's where a skilled mechanic excels). But I'm not great at judging vehicles to know how they are balanced. Pickups often front heavy for example. Harbor Freight has the same jack stands as Northern but cheaper. Northern looks like it would be a fun store to browse but there's none close to me where as there's several HF around.

thanks Alex thats good logic ill ask the retired guy when I see him sure he has them there as well. Custom car builder called today as I had said Asymetrical have the posts at an angle and he had said no they dont, Turns out they do his brother has them and they were angled. Read pluses and minus with each

My 92 year old neighbour saved articles for me from one car guy in te news paper one day reading lady took her car in to a well known name here and when she went to get it it had fallen off the lift and all the guys were bent over laughing, nice