Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey innovation being copycat by …

Harvey innovation being copycat by …

Correct me if I am wrong. Last week I whined about Harveys inflated shipping costs. But this week I am applauding them for their innovative products. Their tin coated saw tables are now being copied by none other..

Powermatic.

Introducing Armorglide

https://wood.powermatic.com/armorglide/
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Except this seems to be a different type of coating? Both seem short on details, but every TiN coating I've seen has that characteristic golden color. The Powermatic coating is black.

I never thought of tin coated table as an innovation. Maybe I'm missing something here, I look at it as nothing more than marketing besides it looking cool how does it improve a table saw ?

According to the Powermatic ad copy it is magical. I think it will deflect meteor strikes, provides the frictionless plane from physics class, and will keep avocados from turning brown after slicing. Great claims with no detailed info on the actual coating.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    I never thought of tin coated table as an innovation. Maybe I'm missing something here, I look at it as nothing more than marketing besides it looking cool how does it improve a table saw ?
    Rusty rust rust rust.

Teflon non stick pans?
    Bill D

Along the same topic...What ever happened to granite tops on table saws? Did those that were sold have problems, like maybe cracking?

Not too long ago Powermatic (?) sold a table saw with a thick wood butcher block style extension table. Anybody got one of those? It looked like a neato way to have a useable bench in a small shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Teflon non stick pans?
    Bill D
    Seriously, when I lived in Rhode Island and was living 1000 feet from the ocean rust was a major issue despite waxing the top of my DJ20, MM16, and Delta saw. It was a struggle especially during the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Along the same topic...What ever happened to granite tops on table saws? Did those that were sold have problems, like maybe cracking?

Not too long ago Powermatic (?) sold a table saw with a thick wood butcher block style extension table. Anybody got one of those? It looked like a neato way to have a useable bench in a small shop.
    The whole company went under is the reason granite stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Seriously, when I lived in Rhode Island and was living 1000 feet from the ocean rust was a major issue despite waxing the top of my DJ20, MM16, and Delta saw. It was a struggle especially during the summer
    Did you woodwork outside? Salt water fog got in your shop? Moisture control is really quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Did you woodwork outside? Salt water fog got in your shop? Moisture control is really quite easy.
    It was a small unheated garage. When you live that close to the ocean the morning dew is saturated salt water. If you could only seen what it did to my weber grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The whole company went under is the reason granite stopped.
    Wasn’t Bridge City the company selling the table saw with a granite top? If so, Harvey bought them out about 5 years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Harvey used to be a manufacturer only.
    Making products and components for other retailers. Now they sell their own line of products, it's no wonder some of the same features would eventually show up on their own machines.

Sealmaster gold series bearings use black oxide as a rust preventative finish. Could it. Be a variation of this? Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Wasn’t Bridge City the company selling the table saw with a granite top? If so, Harvey bought them out about 5 years ago.
    Close--it was Steel City. I nearly bought one, but was in the process of becoming addicted to Mag Switch feather boards. Kept my cast iron saw.
    earl