Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    For me, it isn't the design. It is 100% the absurd amount of long-term environmental waste they create. I'm not against epoxy at all, it certainly has a place and I do use it, but good grief, the plastic tape, silicon, broken up melamine, particle board, rubber gloves, buckets, bins, stir sticks and empty plastic jugs upon jugs of epoxy is just too much for me.
    I can't agrue with that, although I do hate the design as well. Not to mention the tables themselves will be in the landfill as well someday.

I see a deep pour on an otherwise good looking piece of wood and it almost immediately gives me a sense of being cheap, lazy, or some other adjectives I can't use on this forum. I don't know when it quits being a fad and becomes a design trend, I just hope it stops soon.
    I've seen natural edge furniture up close and personal done at the highest level, so all the "makers" with their the knock-offs and wanna-bees or the re-imagined tables don't cut it for me. There is very little of it that seems to have any sense of style or balance, just plastic coated planks on retail metal legs.

When I was much younger, I worked for a moving company. We were lucky enough to have a contract with George Nakashima and transported many of his pieces from his compound in New Hope PA. I can honestly say, my co-workers and I saw and handled many of his natural edge pieces before anyone else in the public. While I didn't have the appreciation for them then as i do now, ever since then not much else compares. A simple oil and wax finish was all that was on many pieces.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I don’t dislike river tables as much as feeling the river table era won’t last long..
    yep ! , such things are for Birthday parties where the sweetness of the icing will be long remembered after after the River will go to
    the trash can.