Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Can we throw "TV installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.
    Job security for a PT who treats neck pain

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I assume MCM stands for 1950's furniture.
    Mid Century Modern, so yes, that time frame comes into play as well as Danish influences.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mason View Post
    Beyond the aesthetics, it puts the tv at a height that requires you to crane your neck to watch it, and the heat from the fireplace isn't good for the electronics either (the rule of thumb I've always heard is that a 10 degree F increase in operating temperature results in the life of the electronics being cut in half). Unfortunately, some open concept homes don't allow for locating a tv anywhere else in the family room/great room, as they only have two walls, one being the fireplace wall, the other a wall of windows.

Not for the many who like to lean back in their recliners. Don't forget the cupholders in the arms, too. Now there's a trend I absolutely hate. How about a fridge underneath? Maybe I've just given the designers a new idea.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    This is the logic as to why I like having painted trim in my house and want tile in the kitchen instead of hardwood. There's a limit on the amount of wood and the amount of design you can put in before I think it's too much. I'd rather that be furniture I've built instead of trim work. I've seen wood finished cabinets with hardwood floors and a nice kitchen table, and while they're all good on their own, put together it's a lot of stuff that doesn't always work well together.
    I agree too much wood is overdone. I’ve seen houses where it looks kind wood barfed all over the house.

I would never give up my quarter sawn, white oak floors but in our kitchen we did a light grey paint on the main cabinets and complemented with white oak stained a chocolate color. I think a little variety goes a long way.

IKEA (10 characters).

I am retired and volunteer at my church on Mondays. For a few weeks my assigned task was to assemble some knock down furniture. Mainly desks. The old desk we removed in one case I remember well was mahogany. I think it was real mahogany and not luan. But it had been repaired badly and I understand why it was being replaced (although I think I could have fixed it well). The replacement was particle board with a thin vinyl wrap that admittedly looked decent but the construction is so poor it won't last 10 years IMHO. In addition, the instructions are terrible with no pictures, only poor sketches, and very few words. The simple desk was OK, the much more complex one that replaced the mahogany one was terrible to put together. Many, many pieces without adequate instructions.

Anything made of particle board deserves to go into the dumpster. I paid the extra fee for my kitchen cabinets to use all plywood boxes with solid wood fronts. As I'm typing this I started to think about the two bathroom cabinets I did not make. I guess I don't really know what they are made of. Might be time to get started on replacements.

Back in the 60's when we had 'early Salvation Army' style furniture, we bought a new particle board credenza with sliding doors for $29 at Thrifty Drug Store. Once assembled, it lasted over 20 years in our house, and then I took it apart and made a shelving unit for the garage out of the pieces, which lasted at least 15 years longer.

Just because it is junk doesn't mean it won't last..it was our first piece of 'new' furniture, and we remember it fondly.

YMMV
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My least favorite has to be pallet wood furniture. I get the appeal due to its recycling nature and the rustic vibe it can impart, but it's not just my cup of tea. While I'm all for creative and sustainable design, I think furniture pieces must be comfortable, durable, and fit the space well. Pallet furniture often lacks in these areas, at least from my experience.
    I am drawn more to modern and sleek designs. The Alex Collection from What A Room is the perfect example of that. I got a sofa from this collection in my living room, and I love its clean lines and thoughtful design that combine form and function. Not only is it a visual delight, but the comfort level is great.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

There's a place for everything, and everything has its place. I don't necessarily dislike any particular design trend, but I do dislike most design executions. It's like furniture has a long history of the maker incorporated a bunch of ideas without ever asking "why" they were incorporating those ideas. It's almost like they weren't creating furniture but were creating excuses to use fancy tools or show off their skills. Just no regard for actual design or function. So there's about 98% more furniture out there that I don't like than I do.

But if I had to pick a style or design trend that I liked the least, it's probably Mannerism. You bought a lathe and a set of carving chisels. I get it! You don't have to poke me in the eye!

Blog Entries
    Agreeing with the idea that trends are not bad in and unto themselves. Bikinis, Mini-skirts, pineapple cuts, Members-Only Jackets, and Lucchese boots were all very cool during their "trend window". Some survived, some did not. Mid-Century-Modern, Rustic, Reclaimed, Queen Anne, all have a cold place in my heart. MCM because I grew up with it. Probably the same reason I prefer not to use red oak or birch. Curlicues, swam-necks, and excessive fluting all live in the "I'd rather not" box in my brain.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a couple who took the kids on Sunday drives just to go look at house and building architecture, historic sites in the area, sculpture in the park, or the latest interactive display at the Science and Industry Museum. End result is that I have a wide range of things that I like. Over time I have also learned that I like some of them more than others. I also learned that there are more people who have a different opinion than mine than there are people who share mine and that's OK. Keeps ya humble . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-07-2024 at 5:58 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"I also learned that there are more people who have a different opinion than mine than there are people who share mine and that's OK"

Keeps things from being so boring, especially when you find that rare gem that YOU like
    Ron

Somewhere along the line, folks in the (NE, at least) US have lost the goal of making their living spaces as intimate and beautiful as they can be. I'm in Europe this winter and am really awed at how important art is here. Folks live in small spaces, by US standards, and they are not wealthy, but there is something breathtaking when you walk into a space where furniture was not an afterthought. 'People' mag wants us to think 'interior decorating' is something Hollywood megastars do, but it doesn't have to be ostentatious or expensive. It just takes a different frame of mind.
    Then it just becomes a question of: what am I trying to accomplish with this space? and does this particular piece fit with that goal? I just saw a juxtaposition of Secession and post-modern steel in a restored Venetian cottage that took my breath away. Didn't take a lot of money, but the owners had a gift...

I guess my point is that saying 'I don't like X' is hollow without understanding the space it's intended for.
    Last edited by Josko Catipovic; 02-08-2024 at 1:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Somewhere along the line, folks in the (NE, at least) US have lost the goal of making their living spaces as intimate and beautiful as they can be. I'm in Europe this winter and am really awed at how important art is here. Folks live in small spaces, by US standards, and they are not wealthy, but there is something breathtaking when you walk into a space where furniture was not an afterthought. 'People' mag wants us to think 'interior decorating' is something Hollywood megastars do, but it doesn't have to be ostentatious or expensive. It just takes a different frame of mind.
    Then it just becomes a question of: what am I trying to accomplish with this space? and does this particular piece fit with that goal? I just saw a juxtaposition of Secession and post-modern steel in a restored Venetian cottage that took my breath away. Didn't take a lot of money, but the owners had a gift...
    Thanks. I enjoyed your observations here. I think I’ll see if I can locate a book or online images of what you’re describing. Enjoy your visit!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Anything after early 20th Century, but absolute least favorite would be river tables.

I mostly agree with what everyone says, but wanted to point out any timelines design regardless of style type or construction will always be superior to me. Anything too trendy will look too dated as trends change. To design furniture in a in a way that never really truly goes out of style is always superior to me. Basic good design qualities never change.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.