Thread: Saw stop model question

Saw stop model question

Time to bite the bullet and upgrade. Woodcraft has the model CNS175 for $2,257. AND the same model for $1,999. The only difference I can determine between the two is the fence. The more expensive version has the Pro T Glide fence system and the 36 inch extension table. Are those two items worth the extra $$$?

Did you have any luck in finding a store with saw in stock and avoid the shipping fee?

Thanks!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Full disclosure: I don't own a saw stop...

So the fence is critical to the saw, I wouldn't skimp there. The pro t glide is basically a biesemeyer clone so good to go. That said, I can't possibly imagine ever spending that much on a contractor saw. Unless this is to actually take from job to job (location to location), save a couple extra bucks and look at cabinet saws. Or keep your budget and consider used. I think a lot of covid warriors will soon be unloading equipment at reasonable prices. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Time to bite the bullet and upgrade. Woodcraft has the model CNS175 for $2,257. AND the same model for $1,999. The only difference I can determine between the two is the fence. The more expensive version has the Pro T Glide fence system and the 36 inch extension table. Are those two items worth the extra $$$?

Did you have any luck in finding a store with saw in stock and avoid the shipping fee?

Thanks!

I've owned both the contractor saw and now an ICS. I would not buy the contractor saw again. Dust collection is poor. I built a cabinet for it and really improved the dust collection (I have a VERY long blog about it on another woodworking site). I would seriously consider upgrading to the PCS.

The fence is a necessity. A good Biesenmeyer clone. I have the extension table on my ICS. Makes things somewhat easier for long cuts. I went down to the 36 inch extension table on my ICS. It's big enough for 90% of what I do.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    The upgraded t-glide fence is well worth the extra $$. It's much more robust.

I agree with the other responses. I looked at both fences and decided the more expensive one was worth the money. I am cheap too but it was still worth it to me.

Is the 36" extension something that is important to you for the work you do? If not, it's not worth it to you. It just becomes a surface to store things on.

I would agree that the dust collection on almost any contractor saw is poor, so I wouldn't consider the contractor's saw.

This may not be of interest to you, but when I replaced my tablesaw 5+ years ago, I decided to take a hard look at what work I did and what capabilities I needed before buying.

I tried going the route of a Festool track saw and MFT table and found, after using it for awhile that, for virtually a 100% of my crosscutting needs, this worked for me. My accuracy and capabilities improved significantly. However, it didn't work for my ripping needs very well.

I ended up buying a Sawstop Jobsite saw just after they were introduced and have never been sorry. For my ripping needs, it works well and is achieves the accuracy and finish on rip cuts that I need. To be sure, there are drawbacks. The motor is 1.5 HP but I have ripped 8/4 oak and maple on it with no problems; just need the right blade. The table is small, but really much of a problem. However, I don't cut much larger plywood pieces, so it works for me. The fence is accurate and has never given me problems although it certainly isn't top of the line. The biggest drawback is the distance in front of the blade. Sometimes I need to create some support in front and back but it stll works well for me. The miter gauge isn't good, but many jut upgrade them anyway.

So, again, what tools you buy should depend completely on your use of them. My choices certainly might not work for you. I would just encourage you to take a look at how your work and what you mostly make and let that govern your saw choice. My comment about the dust collection still holds. Contractor saws don't have good dust collection.

Yes it's worth it. For me at least.

Absolutely worth it. The fence makes the saw IMHO.

Rex Krueger did a decent job of explaining both fences from the perspective of something who used it as a daily driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cc0xKdLig