Thread: Another entry for the AWR competition

Another entry for the AWR competition

The Australian Wood Review Competition is both for builders in Australia and internationally. There are categories for furniture, boxes, etc. Link: https://www.woodreview.com.au/ Entries closed today, and at the last minute I added one more.

Earlier, I entered the floating bedside tables, which were the subject of a build here ...

The competition places a focus on design, and I thought that I would enter one other piece which I have recently been (re-) working on .. a work in progress that lasted longer than I imagined - it was an unusual piece and I struggled to find a satisfactory composition. For the competition (which must have a name), it is called "Curves" ...

This console table features Jarrah, Karri, and Kauri timbers. "Curves" comes from the the absence of any straight sections (other than the drawer sides).

The idea for the table began to ferment in 2011, a time when I was fascinated with coopered barrels. I subsequently started making coopered doors for an entertainment unit, and then could not use them as the solid, 6mm thick curves were too heavy to be practical. With nearly-closed eyes I could visualise a table with curved table legs .... and then it took 12 years to design the remainder: the curved aprons, the curved drawer front, the curved and tapered table top. The leg sections are frame-and-coopered panels.

The panels are (ex-roofing) Karri stained to match the remainder of the carcase, which is Jarrah. The table top features a soft curve, along with pillowed edges to avoid hardness. The drawer is dovetailed with Kauri sides and bottom held with slips.

Dimensions: The top is 900 x 380mm. Height is 690mm. The cabinet section is 520 x 110mm

Its resting place at home ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very worthy craftsmanship there! Best wishes to you in the competition!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Incredible work!!

Just WOW!!!

Nice looking table Derek, good luck

Superb design and craftsmanship.

Brilliant design-holding those curves in a balanced form is no small task! Best of luck with the competition.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Beautiful use of curves Derek, good luck!

All the pieces are beautiful, but the curved console is especially exquisite

Thank you all for your positivity. It is very reassuring as I really lost objectivity with the console table, having worked on it for so long. I entered it at the last minute, having debated whether it was up to snuff, and finally aid to myself, “that would be the way to find out”. At any rate, I am not going to do any more work on it, or think about what should be changed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Congrats on
    Making the shortlist!!!

Thanks Mike.

Regards from Perth

Derek