Thread: Did you attend Hand Works

Did you attend Hand Works

If you attend Handworks this week end, what did you come away thinking about it as an afterthought?

I really enjoyed the Amana Furniture Factory tour. Our guide was a woman who had worked there for about 35 years. She was very informative, did a great job explaining all the aspects of the factory's work flow. She was fun and I could tell that she really enjoyed working there. That says a lot about the quality of people working there from the top down.

I also was pleased to find out that they sold really nice looking hardwoods of various thickness, widths, and lengths on Fridays and Saturdays. And the prices were more than reasonable.

I also bought plans for a pole Lathe, and a #10 type 1 Miller Falls plane with frog for $20

I got to talk to the reprehensive at Lake Erie tool about my problem of the thread expanding and getting tight. I was told to send in both the nut and screw and he would recut the nut for nothing. I came away thinking a great company with a very good product.

I was also able to get on Blackburn's list. And chase down some floats.

All in all it was a very good show as far as I am concerned.
    Tom

I enjoyed it as well. I caught up with some folks, made some friends, said thank you to folks that are an inspiration, scored a couple tools, got on Hillview’s list for a 4” bevel and had a great chat with Andy Glenn and Jeff Lefkowitz. I measured a few chair and tried out a bunch of premium tools I’d never otherwise have access to. That and excellent german food and a trip to the smokehouse.

I live in West Central Ohio...so driving to Iowa was out. However...a 7 mile drive each way to West Liberty, OH was about all I needed to see....They have their Tractor Fest every Labor Day weekend....and I try to get there every year...Think of it also as the World's 2nd largest yard sale....as I usually walk through about a mile of vendors..while rust hunting....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I wanted to go, but spent my play money the week before and stayed home. Big crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I wanted to go, but spent my play money the week before and stayed home. Big crowd?
    Definitely a big crowd. But not so big that any wait was too long or things were uncomfortably close.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    I got to talk to the Lake Erie tool [rep?]about my problem of the thread expanding and getting tight. I was told to send in both the nut and screw and he would recut the nut for nothing. I came away thinking a great company with a very good product.
    My experience with Lake Erie Toolworks is likewise uniformly positive. I hope to be there in Amana next year.

I got to talk to the reprehensive at........
    I thought you were teeing up a horror story. I'm glad it turned out well. We used to call some of those guys "Manufacturer's Reptiles".
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

If you attend Handworks this week end, what did you come away thinking about it as an afterthought?

I also bought plans for a pole Lathe, and a #10 type 1 Miller Falls plane with frog for $20
    Here are plans for a pole lathe that are public domain:
    roubo_lathe_r.jpg

What list is Blackburn taking?

I was also able to get on Blackburn's list. And chase down some floats.

All in all it was a very good show as far as I am concerned.

I did not attend this year, as I live much further away now, but went to all of the prior ones. For me the Handworks show was 10% tools and other stuff; and 90% the people there. This would include attendees and presenters, as well. The unique setting of the Amanas and that wonderfull Festhalle barn were the iceing.

This was my first chance to get to Handworks. It was incredible. Quite a drive from the low country of SC, but we missed the hurricane at home and had a great time at the show. I've been wanting a new tenon saw for a while and it was great to be able to actually hold the saws I've been looking at on line. Ended up with a Lie Nelson. Should be delivered tomorrow. The wife enjoyed the shops in Amana and we were able to get lodging about 10 miles away. Though shear dumb luck we were able to get front row spots for Roy's talk. It was a great show and I was totally amazed at the number of vendors and attendees. Many thanks to the organizers. I hope all who attended made appropriate donations to their cause.

The only downside was passing by Chattanooga. There is a Lodge factory outlet there and we stopped in going to and from Amana. I think we spent as much there as we did in Amana, but now the wife has all the cast iron she thinks she needs.