Thread: Donut Chuck ?

Donut Chuck ?

I traded my old donut chuck years ago and never got around to making one for my 3520B. I have not committed to this yet as I guess I could also just drop a wad of money on a Cole Jaw system. I really like the captured aspect of a donut chuck but I really hate making jigs. I have small Cole Jaws but I need to grip bigger pieces. Plus I have moving the stupid buttons. Looking for others thoughts and suggestions.

PS...I should have added that I have a vacuum chuck setup but some things won't take a vacuum. Not a fan of friction jamb chucks either.
    Last edited by Chip Sutherland; 09-04-2023 at 11:34 AM.

While cole jaws have their place, they do come with limitations. A jam chuck or a vacuum chuck I believe would be more versatile.

Holding things for various operations on a lathe quickly points out there is no one-size-fits-all solution but there likely is a solution that will work for most things you make.
    I used a donut chuck for years - had a couple of sizes but several of the pieces with different hole sizes to accommodate different diameters. They're a good, quite flexible solution and easy to make at a low cost.
    I got into vacuum chucking and since a lot of my work is bowls, it has turned out to be a great way to go (for me). Takes a bit of time to build if you aren't buying a canned solution and depending on your junk sources it is more expensive.
    I've never been a fan of Cole or Longworth methods but they do work.

I do too many natural edge bowls to even think about used cole jaws. I use Oneway vacuum chucks, sometimes with the vacuum and other times just slide up the tailstock and turn all but about the last 5/8". I taper that little plug and then saw it off and sand off the tiny nub. That is an Ellsworth technique

I'm a firm believer of whatever works for you.
    I'm a fan of cole jaws but I've also got a vacuum system, and I've made several donut chucks.
    There is no one size fits all unless you're only turning one type of project.
    Longwoth jaws are the most limited IMO.
    They all have their pro's and con's, it's just something you need to do in order to secure your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I'm a firm believer of whatever works for you.
    Ed has an excellent donut chuck he made. Can you show everyone a picture of it?

Try Ron Brown's site. He has a doughnut chuck with several size doughnuts or you can buy his Longworth chuck with the doughnut rings. It's a little pricey though. Plus, for me (who did buy the Longworth chuck with the rings) I find it time consuming to get the bowl secured without substantial wobble. It means going back and forth tightening the various opposing bolts to balance the bowl. I think there are other ways which are easier, but they usually involve turning the tenon down as much as possible and then cutting it off and sanding the bottom; easier for me than the doughnut chuck method. I own some Rubber Chucky's which really help me get the job done faster (rubberchucky.com). You can, of course, get a vacuum chuck but I think there are hollow forms and possibly some bowls that won't work for. I haven't found a method that works for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Ed has an excellent donut chuck he made. Can you show everyone a picture of it?
    If that's directed at me, I'll get some pics today

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    If that's directed at me, I'll get some pics today
    It was directed at you, and thank you.

I made this one a few years back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Okay, nothing fancy. This is just plywood mounted on a face plate. I made an inner and outer retaining ring. which fit most things I've turned but it's easy enough to turn an extra retaining ring for the in between sizes. The tape is just to protect items that were finished before final turning.
    IMG_0744.jpgIMG_0745.jpgIMG_0747.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpgIMG_0752.jpg

Simple 1/4"-20 hardware
    IMG_0753 (600 x 400).jpgIMG_0754 (600 x 400).jpg
    Doesn't need to be fancy or complicated.

I use 1/4-20 carriage bolts - heads can't turn and a little lower and smoother profile to reduce chances of hitting with hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I use 1/4-20 carriage bolts - heads can't turn and a little lower and smoother profile to reduce chances of hitting with hand.
    Or all-thread epoxied into t-nuts - pre-drill for the t-nut prongs so they can be slipped in and out.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I own some Rubber Chucky's which really help me get the job done faster (rubberchucky.com).
    very helpful. Didn’t know about them and just ordered. Thanks.