Thread: LV Small Plow - Cutting T&G

LV Small Plow - Cutting T&G

I’ve had a LV small plow plane for a number of years, and was pleased that LV developed a wide blade kit and some associated tongue cutters. i didn’t want to have to pay the long dollar for vintage cutters for my #45 body just to cut the occasional T&G. I ordered the wide blade kit and a couple cutters and gave them a road test this afternoon. The setup is just a little fussy but easy to figure out. I loaded the 1/4” tongue cutter, adjusted the fence, and proceeded to create a respectable tongue on the edge of a 5/8” pine board. Now for the matching groove. The instructions say “remove the tongue cutter and install the corresponding groove cutter”. The implication being that once you close the fence down your setup will match the tongue. Not so much. The aux skate will not close down tight against the skate in the plane body, and you can’t cut a groove at all let alone in the right place. it looks like 3/8 is the narrowest groove that can be cut with the wide blade skate installed. To cut the 1/4” groove the wide blade kit needs to be removed and the plane converted back to standard operation. Based on the instructions it doesn’t seem that was the plan. Anyone else have this setup and willing to school me? I’ll be sending a note to LV for clarification tomorrow.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I

I loaded the 1/4” tongue cutter, adjusted the fence, and proceeded to create a respectable tongue on the edge of a 5/8” pine board. Now for the matching groove. The instructions say “remove the tongue cutter and install the corresponding groove cutter”. The implication being that once you close the fence down your setup will match the tongue. Not so much. The aux skate will not close down tight against the skate in the plane body, and you can’t cut a groove at all let alone in the right place.
    Rob, from looking back at images from when a small plow plane was in my shop for a test ride it looks like you have found something common in instructions or procedure language. The writer may have assumed (since someone explained ass u me it is a word to be avoided) all users were clear on the instruction for using narrow cutters that the movable skate was not to be used. Adding this on top of the "remove the tongue cutter and install the corresponding groove cutter" implied removing the skate for the 1/4" cutter.

My technical writing instructor would be on your side of this in having been an error of omission by the writer of the instructions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Having technical writing responsibilities myself, I concur.

Many years ago I purchased the LV small plow plane. As time went by I succumbed to the lure of the possibilities that the various blades provided and purchased a full set. Only to find out that, yes, you can utilize the blades to achieve those possibilities but not before enduring time consuming and frustrating fettling/adjustments along the way.

T&G is a perfect example. I reached the breaking point, purchased a LN 48 and haven’t looked back. It’s a plane that is designed to do one thing and does it magnificently. Actually the same can be said for the small plow when used for the purpose it is designed for, i.e., cutting a groove. It does an adequate job of beading, but the dedicated beaders are likely the tool of choice if you do a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Many years ago I purchased the LV small plow plane. As time went by I succumbed to the lure of the possibilities that the various blades provided and purchased a full set. Only to find out that, yes, you can utilize the blades to achieve those possibilities but not before enduring time consuming and frustrating fettling/adjustments along the way.

T&G is a perfect example. I reached the breaking point, purchased a LN 48 and haven’t looked back. It’s a plane that is designed to do one thing and does it magnificently. Actually the same can be said for the small plow when used for the purpose it is designed for, i.e., cutting a groove. It does an adequate job of beading, but the dedicated beaders are likely the tool of choice if you do a lot.
    Yup. On the list for a #48. Hoping.

Rob, I have a full Pictorial for setting up and using the Small Plow T&G here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html

I also made a comparison with the LN #49.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Step Nine:Time to change the plane back into a groover. Disassemble. Replace the parts as original

Yes, that is the process I sussed out. I was lead astray by the written instructions.

#48 tongue in cheek instructions
    Step 1: set the blade depth
    Step 2: plane the groove
    Step 3: swing the fence
    Step 4: plane the tongue

This is exactly the sort of reason I ended up having two of the small plow planes in my stable. Both of mine are right handed, but I did fabricate an auxiliary fence in my shop so one can be setup as LH.

Happy ending…..

I thought I recalled that the LV tongue cutters would fit a #45, so why not try? They fit perfect in the old husk I have. I cleaned it up a bit and replaced the rosewood fence with a cherry version about twice as deep. The micro fence adjust is a real plus. It works great. I guess it’s in the queue for a restoration project. I’ll use the #45 for a dedicated tongue cutter and the LV small plow for the grooving.

Blog Entries
    Happy ending…..

I thought I recalled that the LV tongue cutters would fit a #45, so why not try? They fit perfect in the old husk I have. I cleaned it up a bit and replaced the rosewood fence with a cherry version about twice as deep. The micro fence adjust is a real plus. It works great. I guess it’s in the queue for a restoration project. I’ll use the #45 for a dedicated tongue cutter and the LV small plow for the grooving.
    That is only one of the reason for having multiple #45s in my shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Hey Jim - Do you know the size and thread pitch of the thumbscrew that locks the micro adjust on the fence? It’s on the leading end of the fence (or in my case there is a tapped hole).

Blog Entries
    Hey Jim - Do you know the size and thread pitch of the thumbscrew that locks the micro adjust on the fence? It’s on the leading end of the fence (or in my case there is a tapped hole).
    Not offhand but can check it out next time in the shop.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Rob, it measured out at my expectations. It appears to be a 10-28 thread.

Sending you a PM.

jtk

Lucky enough to have 2 Stanley #45s in the shop...and, I can even do 3/16" T&G cutter, plus the 1/4" set up. One plane to do the groove, the other to mill the tongue...

And...I seem to like the 3/16" wide cutter better than the 1/4" one..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use