Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turners Glossary...?

1. Turners Glossary...?

Do you guys know of some thing like a "Turners Glossary"? I'm hearing all these terms, and tool names, and I'm not sure exactly what everyone is talking about. You guys have others to talk to, but for me, if I talk to anyone here, it will be in Japanese, and I very much doubt I'll get the name for the tool right.

Pics with descriptions would be nice

(Might see the lathe THIS WEEK!!)

If you will give us the terms that you are in question about I'll bet you will get many replys to your questions. I know that people in different parts of the world have different names for the tools they use to turn with and it may be fun to hear form all of those people and get the different views.

Ok a couple of quick ones.....

Round....not square
    Flatwork......square
    Skew(ed)........defination of Andy
    Gouge......what I normally do to a bowl
    Catch.......what I do to a bowl after I gouge it
    Scraper.....the floor after the chuck lets go of the bowl

Keith, ROTFLOL.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ainge
    If you will give us the terms that you are in question about I'll bet you will get many replys to your questions. I know that people in different parts of the world have different names for the tools they use to turn with and it may be fun to hear form all of those people and get the different views.
    Well just about everything when it comes to the tools....

Not much help am I....

Actually I was pointed to a site with an online glossary......

Keith, you are killing me here!

Ok...Here's a Starter List that I found. This is probably a good idea cuz there's some things that I'm too embarrassed to ask so I just wait until I can figure it out. It's like BLO...I didn't know what it was and wouldn't ask, so I felt like an idiot when I finally did ask. 'Course then, it ends up that the reason I felt like an idiot is because I am indeed an idiot.

Any way...as people add stuff to the thread...I can add the definition to this post...then clean it up later. How's that Stu?

Bear scratches:
    Indented growth rings in the form of elongated or lenticular depressions are termed "bear scratches". Bear scratches occur most commonly in Sitka spruce and Douglas fir. The term is derived from the appearance of lighter colored tissues that form longitudinal streaks on the tangential face. For many years, such streaks were thought to be caused by animal claw injury.

Birds-eye Figure:
    This is a figure on wood, usually maple and a few other species. The figure is composed of many small BB-sized, rounded areas resembling a bird's eye.
    Burl:
    This is a bulge and irregular growth that forms on the trunks and roots of trees. Burls are highly sought after for the incredible patterns the wood yield.

Catch:
    What Keith Burns does to a bowl after he gouges it

Crotch:
    This is a piece of wood taken from the fork of a tree. Crotch wood is highly valued for its figuring.

Fiddleback:
    This is a decorative wood figure caused by wavy grain. Fiddleback wood is prized for this distinctive characteristic.
    Figure:
    Figure is a term applied to certain patterns formed naturally in wood; it may be enhanced by specialized cutting techniques that accentuate normal markings. Many types of figure are described as optical illusions normally perceived by viewers. Figure also may be caused by uneven coloration resulting from pigmentation in wood.

Flatwork:
    Square

Gouge
    What Keith Burns normally does to a bowl

Grain:
    This is the size, alignment and color of wood fibers in a piece of wood. More specifically, grain is a term used to describe the alignment of wood elements in relation to the longitudinal axis. Wood is considered to have straight grain when elements are parallel to the longitudinal axis. When elements are sloped, wood is described as spiral grained. Undulations in wood elements are responsible for wavy or curly grain.

Heartwood:
    This is the dead inner core of a tree. It is usually much harder and darker than the newer wood.

Moisture Content:
    This is the measure of the amount of water in a piece of wood. Green wood (see above), has a much higher moisture content than older dead wood.

Old Growth:
    Also referred to as "Virgin Timber", this is old, naturally established trees often characterized by dense straight grain and lack of knots and defects.

Pith:
    This refers to the soft center of the tree.

Quarter-Sawn:
    This is a method of cutting lumber where the annual rings are relatively perpendicular to the face of the board Quarter-sawn lumber tends to be more dimensionally stable than other forms of lumber.

Ray:
    This is a ribbon-like figure caused by strands of cells which extend across the grain in quarter-sawn lumber.

Ray flecks:
    Figure occasionally results from cutting wood so that rays are parallel to the wide face where a series of shiny, light-reflecting surfaces are formed. These are known as ray flecks. In such woods as the oaks and sycamores, ray flecks are very pronounced and exhibit typical patterns. Ray flecks are present in all woods and reach their greatest development in sections that are quarter sawn or sliced. They do not contribute materially to figure other than to produce a lustrous surface. However, some woods may exhibit conspicuous mottled figure caused by extra large rays.

Round:
    Not square

Sapwood:
    This is the living, outer zone of wood, next to the bark. In the living tree it contains some living cells (the heartwood contains none), as well as dead and dying cells. In most species, it is lighter colored than the heartwood. In all species, it is lacking in decay resistance.

Scraper:
    The floor after the chuck lets go of the bowl

Skew(ed)
    Defination of Andy

Spalted, spalting:
    This is the beginning stages of decay and a wood coloration mechanism, usually set on by legions of insects, accompanied by microbes (fungi).

Spinny Thing:
    Lathe

Texture:
    This is a term used to classify relative size of wood elements. Texture is often confused with grain. Coarse textured woods are often described as "open-grained", they, therefore, require a filler in finishing. Such woods properly should be called coarse textured. "Fine grained" woods, similarly, should be called fine textured.
    Last edited by John Hart; 02-02-2006 at 1:00 PM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Stu, if you're going to do bowls it's really simple. Bowl gouge, scrapers, maybe parting tool depending on how you mount your blank, sandpaper, and finish.

There are two (at least) methods of measuring bowl gouge size, European and American. The other folks use the diameter of the groove to size and we use the size of the stock. A US 1/2" gouge will be about 1/8" or more smaller than a European.

It doesn't take much, but there are all those shiny toys to draw you in. Kind of like they say about fishing lures, there made to catch fishermen.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Chuck: Short fat guy with four teeth that holds your bowls.This is only ok in the shop.

Vacuum Chuck: A chuck that sucks. Again and worth repeating.This is only ok in the shop.

Lathe Bed: Where most of us would sleep if the headstock was softer.

Headstock: Not to be confused with a headcase. This makes stuff spin and it's where chuck lives.

Headcase: The vertical unit behind the lathe. aka; Turner.

Bowl Gouge: Do not stick this straight in or your bowls will fly. This is not like your "gouge". It requires more skill to use.

Skew: @#$%

CA: Crap Always happens to me. This usually fixes that.

Faceshield: WOW! That was close! Where did I put that thing anyways?

Live Center: When things let go and get lively the center is where you feel that wet spot in your pants.

Tailstock: Taken off and set out of the way. You will trip on this and end up on your tail in a pile of your turning stock.

Parting Tool: This gets stuck in your work and pulled out of your hands.You will quickly depart the shop. It can be described as a near death experience. The next morning you will part your hair on the other side.You will be a changed man.

Scraper: Winged natural edge bowl. Enough said.

Sandpaper: The letter you left your loved ones describing the geography of the place you are heading.Specifically chosen for its lack of trees. This is due to being driven MAD from the hours spent trying to get rid of those scratches!

Buffing: What your piece did to the shop floor after it stops spinning.

Dust Mask: Snot. Snot is not the most effective way of blocking exotic dust. Exotic dust is why we are all so.........................special.

Heartwood: From Ohio. Grown in cardboard boxes by a guy named John.
    Last edited by Loy Hawes; 02-02-2006 at 7:08 PM.

Loy, that's great. You should take that act on the road.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Y'all are killing me These are keepers for sure!

Stu - Don't listen to all these weisenheimers for they know not of what they speak.

In all seriousness, if you want a really good source of straightforward quality terminology then this is THE LINK for you.
    Only the Blue Roads

Killer stuff Loy,
    …And it sure cured me of my intention to get a lathe at Woodcraft on Saturday.
    Must’a been the image of Chuck in my shop.
    Thanks,
    Frank

13. Good stuff... enjoyed the chuckles...

Books

Any book by Richard Raffan should be good.
    Jerry
    God grant me a TURNING DAY today

Dang Gerald. How many pages did you have to go back to find this thread? 2:40 AM. Must have been a very sleepless night.