Thread: Delta 43-375 Shaper Fence ideas

Delta 43-375 Shaper Fence ideas

Seller doesn't have the fence for this shaper. What are my options?

Thinking I can make just about any brand work, but also have a woodpecker tools super fence and curious if it would work if I mounted it to a slotted plate that would then be bolted to the shaper table.

Thanks

How big is that machine. I might have an old fence for a router table size machine.
    Bill D

Bill

The machine is 3HP shaper. It came with a 1/2" and 3/4" spindle, but a 1" integrated spindle and cartridge was available. (Finding one of these 1" spindle cartridges now is like finding hen's teeth now. )It also came with a set of router collet adapters for 1/4" and 1/2" router bits.

Ron
    Firstly, It's no great loss that the fence doesn't come with it. That fence is a really, really, bad piece of equipment. It took me a lot of effort and time to just get that fence to work as two coplanar reference surfaces. Trying to offset one is an exercise in futility. I almost always use a back fence with mine, and the OEM fence is just for dust collection, or a cutter that doesn't require an offset fence.
    The shaper is very nice, the fence was not as nice as the shaper unfortunately.
    You're going to find that aftermarket shaper fences for the 43-375 are limited in availability, and expensive. If I didn't have mine I would have built one from aluminum T-slot extrusions from 80/20.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-02-2023 at 6:06 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How big is that machine. I might have an old fence for a router table size machine.
    Bill D
    Thanks, it is 27" wide.

Some shapers just don’t have a good fence ,and they are often not tall enough. Many good shops make wood fences . That is the
    only way to get what you need. And learn how to use a “ back fence “.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 09-02-2023 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some shapers just don’t have a good fence ,and they are often not tall enough. Many good shops make wood fences . That is the
    only way to get what you need. And learn how to use a “ back fence “.
    Can you recommend somewhere I can find an example of a good one?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Thanks
    I wish I could. I’m convinced by years of using shapers that shop- made fences are superior.

Thanks anyway. I'll see what I can find.

Go to Amazon and search for The Shaper Book. There are some great tips and ideas for shop-made fences that often work better than the OEM fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Thanks
    Aigner

but be prepared for the cost.

You can order some Rockler t track fence clamps that have micro adjustability. Use a couple of pieces of 80/20 aluminum extrusion and boom. A high quality super adjustable shaper fence.