Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any stair builders out there? (acceptable slope on an interior stair tread)

Any stair builders out there? (acceptable slope on an interior stair tread)

I'm sure there are some folks here who know finish carpentry and have done a lot of stairs.

I have an issue with some interior residential stringers I cut (won't get into that more complex issue here)... over 11-1/2" tread run, the stringer dips 1/32" to 1/16" towards the nosing (all steps).

Is this something that I should consider an issue or just live with it? If an issue, are there acceptable strategies for correcting? I can only think to shim 1/16" at the nosing and let construction adhesive fill the void and harden over time to a becoming a shim.

shims as needed

There are plenty of stairs around like that- exterior ones sometimes intentionally have a slope to drain.

Shim at the nose and add a cleat or glue block alongside would be one possible fix.

I guess the cleat would be an option. I'm trying to envision if that is a better option than the shim and adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    shims as needed
    Ron, any idea on shims that are that thin? I can shim the front but anything between is a crazy thin shim and difficult to dial.

They always move some, that’s the main reason they use cove moulding. 11-1/2 is a …good run , ‘course 5 and 1/2 x12 is the
    Golden Step that makes for good walking, climbing is for inferior steps and mountains !

Use AL YOU MINI -UM beer cans for shims !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    They always move some, that’s the main reason they use cove moulding. 11-1/2 is a …good run , ‘course 5 and 1/2 x12 is the
    Golden Step that makes for good walking, climbing is for inferior steps and mountains !
    In this case, I don't think anything moved, but the cut lumber doesn't match my layout isn't square. In my case, the right edge of the tread was to be exposed and project beyond the drywall, so there was not any molding planned, though the stringers are doubled up for rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Use AL YOU MINI -UM beer cans for shims !
    I once found some duct work in the ceiling supported by a beer can.

Did you allow for the tread thickness so that the rise is the same for the bottom step as all the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Did you allow for the tread thickness so that the rise is the same for the bottom step as all the others?
    Yes, all worked out in cad in advance. Many layers to my assembly.

Put a fixture under the tread stock and mill it to a taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Connor View Post
    Ron, any idea on shims that are that thin? I can shim the front but anything between is a crazy thin shim and difficult to dial.

Paper drywall shims, tar paper (#15 and #30), cereal box type cardboard, strips cut from plastic containers, edge banding tape, door skin plywood, masking tape, beer can as mentioned.

You don't need to shim the whole tread, just the front and a spot in the middle.

I have installed a lot of premade stairs and yours are a lot closer than most of them. I would just call it good and move forward. Good luck.

Could you just trim the top surface at each step so it was level? You'd only lose the 1/16" or whatever and should still be well within the acceptable stair height variability range. It seems like that would be maybe easier than shimming, and less prone to squeaking than if you only have a shim at the front.