Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring 3-prong dryer to 4-conductor circuit

Old washing machines. came with a seperate ground wire to be connected to the water pipe.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Old washing machines. came with a seperate ground wire to be connected to the water pipe.
    Bill D
    That kind of went out with new grounded outlet electrical codes and plastic pipe being used for plumbing.

Older installers knew a lot of things newer installers never learned.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Most dryers that are not many decades old can support both three and four wire cords. In fact, when you order them, you have to specify which format cord you want in many cases since there are still many homes with three wire circuits rather than four. Code changes only really affect new construction or major renovations. Check the area where the cord attaches to the dryer as there may be "instructions" stamped into the metal. Alternatively, see if you can get the installation instructions online if you don't have the physical papers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Its now a Code violation and has been for years to bond the white wire to a green anyplace other than in the main panel. Your asking the green tied to the white in a drier or stove to carry current other than a fault. It also may cause issues with some GFIs and Surge protection devices. And the other reason the Code was changed, the Green or grounding conductor is for faults only, do you really want your electronics on circuit that could have a Large fault from failure?
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-03-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When we got a new refrigerator I replaced the outlet with one that has a surge supressor built in. I did this since fridges are computerized now and no room for a surge protected power bar.
    Square D QO breakers sell a plug in surge suppressor that goes into a double breaker slot.
    Bill D

I have a "whole home" surge protector. Located at main panel, fed by a 20A double-pole breaker. Protects all circuits in the house.
    https://www.se.com/ca/en/work/produc...ge-protection/

In addition to electric circuit protection also has receptacles for internet cable and regular telephone cable protection.

Any dryer or range can be either 3 or 4 wire, but since the adoption of the 1996 NEC, 4-wire is required, & since the most recent editions GFCI is required, but with 3-wire receptacles there is NO grounding conductor, they were permitted to ground the frame of the appliance, to the neutral, and is still allowed to to be used in existing installations.

Stephen

I'm sure that you've solved your issue by now, but if not, any reputable appliance sales/repair shop will sell you the correct, UL approved, code compliant, adapter cable.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Someone had replaced the stove receptacle in my house with a four wire receptacle, but the feed was still three wire. The wire was also aluminum which is not necessarily an issue for that size wire. I ended up replacing the wire to the stove with the proper four wire setup. It was only ten to twelve feet and open basement so it was pretty easy. The box was right above floor level.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Any dryer or range can be either 3 or 4 wire, but since the adoption of the 1996 NEC, 4-wire is required, & since the most recent editions GFCI is required, but with 3-wire receptacles there is NO grounding conductor, they were permitted to ground the frame of the appliance, to the neutral, and is still allowed to to be used in existing installations.
    The old 3 wire to stoves and dryers never had a neutral for a ground as I recall, they had a green grounding conductor and 2 hot wires. In later years when electric clocks were added they got the 120 volts for those from the grounding conductor and that was outlawed in as above 1996 for new construction.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-06-2023 at 9:08 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bought a new washer and dryer 2 years ago and they supplied a 3 wire. I immediately went and got a 4 wire and rearranged the wiring on the dryer to compensate the 4 wire like it should be.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Bought a new washer and dryer 2 years ago and they supplied a 3 wire. I immediately went and got a 4 wire and rearranged the wiring on the dryer to compensate the 4 wire like it should be.
    You should have been given the choice for the dryer cord when you purchased it, but I guess the seller didn't bother to ask and assumed you needed three wire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The old 3 wire to stoves and dryers never had a neutral for a ground as I recall, they had a green grounding conductor and 2 hot wires. In later years when electric clocks were added they got the 120 volts for those from the grounding conductor and that was outlawed in as above 1996 for new construction.
    No, they never had grounding conductors that is one of the biggest old wives tales around, oven cavities had a light & a lot had a convenience receptacle requiring a neutral, and the important thing is that grounding appliances to the neutral in new installations did not stop in 1996, it stopped when the 1996 NEC was adopted by the jurisdiction which could be years later into the 2000's. Any dryer, or range, or oven, using a bare grounding conductor was not code compliant, there are cooktops that did/do not require a neutral as they are 240V only.