Thread: A new (to Me) hammer

A new (to Me) hammer

I've wanted one of these for a while, in a heavier size than the ones most commonly available. They are also often quite expensive.

This was on Ebay, in a sad state, but no chips or dents in spite of being quite old. The handle had thirteen nails driven into the eye in a failing attempt to keep the head on!

Traditionally handles are fitted tightly and mounted without wedges, but I ended up using them. White oak, tung oil. Rough shaping on bandsaw, then drawknife and spokeshaves.

IMG_4426.jpegIMG_4427.jpegIMG_4428.jpegIMG_4429.jpeg

Does that particular style have a name? A specific "used-for" task? Ain't never seen one before.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Sometimes called 'sakikiri', but names vary in different regions. Basic carpentry hammer although also made in small sizes.

I used it on the job this afternoon, & was pleased, but not used to the perfectly flat face.

Nice! Is it laminated? And how I’d you restore the finish? Looks to be about 400g?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Nice job on the restoration.

It is one strange looking hammer. It looks like the weight forward on the head might take a little getting used to the balance.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I seem to remember that the pointy end was used to set nails with...nails, not brads..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Nice! Is it laminated? And how I’d you restore the finish? Looks to be about 400g?

Thanks. I can't see any laminations. I just used a wire wheel and a little fine sandpaper, and cleaned up the face on a stationary belt sander. I didn't weigh the head alone, but it is now ~560g, so that's a good guess.

I haven't been to Japan, but this style is commonly seen in carpentry videos from there.

For instance, here at 2:27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1PmJcQbuA

I just watched a YouTube video of a Japanese carpenter using the same type of hammer on a house build. Looks good for driving nails and pins on the pointy end.

Got another one. This is a recent machine made hammer- even has a bar code sticker, but a decent oak handle, & 24 oz total weight.
    I'll let is settle for a while, and reset the handle. Japanese make skinny handles, so this will be built up- I use hockey tape and cord, similar to what Rob Cosman does.

The previous one has been working great- using it on the job.

IMG_4453.jpeg

Blog Entries
    Japanese make skinny handles, so this will be built up- I use hockey tape and cord, similar to what Rob Cosman does.
    For a good grip, my favorite is the rubber strips the 'vampires' at the hospital use when drawing blood. They tend to throw them out after a single use. They are usually happy to let me keep mine. They are also helpful for my old hands when taking a lid off of a jar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For a good grip, my favorite is the rubber strips the 'vampires' at the hospital use when drawing blood. They tend to throw them out after a single use. They are usually happy to let me keep mine. They are also helpful for my old hands when taking a lid off of a jar.

jtk
    Yes, I snagged a couple of those the last time I had blood drawn.

Here's the whole current spread of Japanese hammers, plus a few others.
    The carpenter hammer on the left I used many years ago- I liked the long neck, but the claw was useless, and the bullseye pattern on the face could be incriminating. The handle broke, but I had a handle & just put it on. The hatchet doesn't get used much. One of the ball peen ones has polished faces for metalwork. I only got the rubber/plastic one a few years ago- very handy. The middle one with the shaped handle is the primary chisel hammer.

IMG_4469 (1).jpg