Thread: Doug Weiner, RIP

Doug Weiner, RIP

I just learned today from Doug Weiner's wife Bertha that Doug passed away on the 29th.
    I never had a chance to meet Doug personally, but I had a great many enjoyable conversations with him on the SMC forum and via email.
    He was always upbeat, had interesting posts, and was always happy to discuss vintage tools with me.
    I will truly miss Doug.
    Jim

FYI, Bertha answered an email I sent to Doug yesterday and that is how I learned the sad news.

Holy Cow! Doug and I had many interactions on SMC. Do you know if he'd been ill?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rest well Doug

A few weeks back I sent Doug a couple of hand tools that I restored for him.
    On the 18th I received this email from him:

Hi Jim
    Package did arrive safely. Didn’t get to open yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Dealing with some medical issues but making progress. Think I’m Going to hold off on anything else until I get back to workshop strength.
    I’ll email over the weekend with more details. Thanks for thinking of me.
    Doug

I sadly did not hear from him after that.

Sorry to hear that
    Doug was amassing a nice collection of tools.

Sorry to hear of the loss. Dealing with Doug was a pleasure and he will be missed.

Chris

I’ll be sending a card to Bertha. Father Time is undefeated and I’m reminded of that far too often.

Any Creekers in Orlando that can reach out? She likely has a warehouse of vintage tools to deal with after the dust settles.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rest in Peace Doug. I’ll miss you.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I spoke with Doug many times by phone and FaceTime. He had not been feeling well. We spoke right after he received the diagnosis of a mass on his pancreas and liver. He was hopeful that chemo and radiation would work and that he had been through that routine years ago. I spoke to him not long after that and he was getting weak and his outlook was noticeably worse. We were friends on Facebook and his daughter in law posted his death on his Facebook page. In one respect it is good that he didn’t linger as that can be a horribly painful exit.

I don’t frequent this sub forum and wish I had posted this sooner.

Left click my name for homepage link.