Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent 4' T8 direct wired tubes.

Blog Entries

Fluorescent 4' T8 direct wired tubes.

The past few times, I've gone into my workshop, some of the fluorescent lights have been slow to come on or don't light at all. Has anyone replaced their fluorescent tubes with direct wired led tubes? If so, what brand and where did you get them? I don't want tubes powered through the ballast. What color temperature and lumen output works best for a wood shop to see true colors?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There are a number of existing threads on that, including one that was relatively recently, Lee. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....andard-fixture

I personally got rid of the old fixtures and replaced with LED fixtures at the old shop as it was easier and pretty cost effective. In the new shop, I'm using 8' LED strip lights...did my entire 24x36x10 shop for about $280 with the Barrina fixtures from Amazon. (same ones that Matt Cremona uses) Even at 10' up in the air, they do a great job lighting my shop shaddow free.

As to color temp and brightness. I prefer 5000K at this point, but 4100 is also acceptable to my eyes. I like bright...like "surface of the sun" bright so the more lumen output, the better.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've done it both ways. Go with the Barrina.

I ran 4 cases of these in our ware house. Direct wire. We are very happy. It was either this or change about 12 ballasts

The color temperature is somewhat of a personal preference. The 5000K point is more like an office lighting. I prefer 4000K because it's just slightly warmer and still gives good results on wood color. The 5000K point is okay, but just a little more "sterile". Not as "welcoming".

Personally, I have removed all fluorescent fixtures from my shop and replaced them with (6 Pack) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility LED Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with ON/OFF Switch, ETL Listed - Amazon.com, much happier with lots more light for less money. Have another box of them to install when I get the chance.
    I would remove existing light fixtures unless built in with drywall around them. In which case i would install the barrina's inside the existing fixture.

see if your electric supplier has any deals on led lights.
    Bill D

I replaced most our fluorescents in our house and in my workshop with direct wire (no ballast) LED lights. 4000K.

I didn't like the drop in types that left the ballast in place because the ballast uses energy.

Of the roughly 15 or so LED lights, I have had three that have failed. Seems like a higher than expected failure rate. Just saying...

I also have not had the best luck with the T8 replacement tubes having great longevity. We have built in troffers in the ceiling of the dog room. I forget how many years ago I changed to LED tubes that needed ballasts, and then when half of those failed, changed to the tubes that don't need ballasts. Already some of them have stopped working.

I've wondered if they suffer from being closed up in the fixtures from heat.

In the mechanic shop, I put up a set of the Barrina's to try them out. The first layout proved to be too bright. This building has a very strange roof framing. You can see them in the picture with the ladders. Long story shortened, I'm going to move them up higher in a straight line.

I had some ladders in there working on the lights, and to get one out of the way I stuck it in an opening I made in the built in shelving for the sharpening sink. That gave me the idea to store the ladders in there which has already proved a great improvement on step ladder use.

Anyway, back to the lighting topic, I'm thinking about mounting some of the Barrina's in the dogroom on the surface of the troffers by fastening the clips to the frame around the transparent covers. I think one Barrina tube will be enough light to take the place of one four tube troffer. They will be much easier to replace mounted like that too.

Not only are the Barrina's very bright, steady light, but they're cheap and easy to replace or move around.

I had that set of lights for the shop for over a year, and don't remember if I ordered the clips separately or not, but be sure you get them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To make the Barrina's easy to change individually when they're in a straight line, I'm going to put these short connector wires between them. They slide easily in the clips when just one is held by a couple of the clamps, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to change one if they use the end to end direct connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Cab...%2C125&sr=8-36

Tom, I'm glad you mentioned those connectors. My current install has the end-to-end hard connectors and while they work great, seasonal/temperature expansion/contraction of the building and fixtures occasionally shifts one or two just enough to break contact. Replacing with the short cables will eliminate that issue.

I actually just ordered one more Barrina lamp for the shed as I'm finally going to complete the electric in there that's fed from the shop. I never got around to it. It will be good to have both power and light active in there; easier to see and able to run a battery tender on the ZTR over the winter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The past few times, I've gone into my workshop, some of the fluorescent lights have been slow to come on or don't light at all. Has anyone replaced their fluorescent tubes with direct wired led tubes? If so, what brand and where did you get them? I don't want tubes powered through the ballast. What color temperature and lumen output works best for a wood shop to see true colors?
    I removed the ballasts from 4' "shop lights" and replaced the fluorescents with LED tubes. It was a very simple operation but be aware that there are 2 styles of LED tubes, one where all the power is in one end and one where there is power on both ends. I went with the style that has all the power on one end so the tombstone on the other end is not powered, it simply supports the tube. As to color, Like Jim I prefer 4000K but 5000K works if that's what's available. CRI is another measure and when I was shopping LED tubes with a CRI higher than 80 was not common, they were available but needed to be ordered and were more $. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Edit: Here's a page that is pretty informative about LED lighting
    https://www.waveformlighting.com/tec...ed-tube-lights
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-01-2023 at 9:58 AM.

Some of those repalcement tubes now come with swivel ends. You can rotate them to angle the light direction. Not just the way the fixture is mounted. So you can attach a fixture to a sloped ceiling and turn the tube so it faces straight down.
    Bill D

I switched those Barrina's up high this morning. Even 14' high it's plenty of light for me. It's a nice light too. I'm also a fan of 5000k.

One word of caution on the clips. Just like any included Chinese screws, you have to be careful not to strip the soft Phillips head. I was a bit out of position running one in with my left hand, and buggered one up. I'm thinking about going back now and putting some earthquake safety straps in place. They go in and out of those clips pretty easily.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-02-2023 at 11:58 AM.