Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for woodshop safety test

Question for woodshop safety test

Hi All,

I'll be joining a new woodshop soon and there's a safety test I need to pass. There's one question on the test that's thrown me for a loop. "How many edges of a workpiece must be supported during a dado cut on the table saw". I believe it's two edges (using a mitre gauge it'd be like a cross cut on the table saw where you support the edge on the back and also apply some pressure on the front while doing the cut. Is that right? I also typically use a clamp on the top to support the piece downwards on only one side of the cut)

Thanks in advance!

Luis

I would think only one edge. Supported by the fence or by the miter gauge. You'd be cutting the dado into the face of the work piece.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

If i am using the table saw, the fence is all i use to guide one edge. The board is in my mind supported only by one edge.

Am i picturing this situation correctly?

Chris

That's a poorly worded question that sounds like it was made up by someone who thinks others could only think properly if they think like that someone. Does it ask about edges of a board or piece of plywood, or edges of the dado??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That's a poorly worded question that sounds like it was made up by someone who thinks others could only think properly if they think like that someone. Does it ask about edges of a board or piece of plywood, or edges of the dado??
    Yes exactly!! I thought it was just me mis-reading the question but I'm glad the reactions so far have been similar to mine.

Here's the exact wording: "When cutting a dado on the table saw, how many edges of the work piece must be supported during the cut"

What is the definition of supported here? Brian. Downward force side force?
    Brian

It's such a poorly formed question I'm not sure how I would answer it. A better question would be "describe how you would safely cut a dado on a table saw 1) along the length of a board and 2) across the width of a board".
    To that I would answer:
    1) I would use a featherboard to firmly push the board against the fence and a push block to push the board forward while pushing it firmly down on the table top. Is that one edge (supported by the fence? ) or two supported by the fence and featherboard? Or none since the definition of supported is "bear all or part of the weight of; hold up." The only part of the workpiece that is supported is the bottom and it is not an edge.
    2)I would use the method you described or a sled,again by definition the only part supported is the bottom, again not an edge.

one.

edge.png

I think it depends on whether you walk to school, or carry your lunch.

They thought more about obfuscating that question than they did about safety. If you had a lot of space you could argue one or two...I'd say one "edge".
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 08-30-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry. Forgot to click "Post". This may be out of order. . . .

The question may just be worded poorly. If the material is on the table for a dado to be cut across the face (dados are cut across the grain, grooves are cut with the grain) one edge would be against the miter gauge n never both. The fence versus miter gauge would depend on grin direction of the blank. Most often so the answer is one. Maybe this is what they are really asking(???).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Two--One against the fence supported by push stick, One against the table, again supported by push stick.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Two--One against the fence supported by push stick, One against the table, again supported by push stick.
    Yea, I think there in lies the issue with the question. I'd argue the side on the table is a face, not an edge.

Tell them the question makes no sense and whoever is responsible for the wording should be fired. Or put any answer, then defend it.

I would think 2 sides of a workpiece. The table and either the rear edge with a miter gauge or the edge along the fence.

If you attempted it with just the table it would be pretty unsafe. Adding a 3rd to hold project against the fence could work to.