Thread: Baltic Birch Availability?

Baltic Birch Availability?

During the initial invasion this basically disappeared, but now looking at various online site, it appears that it is available, albeit at very high prices. I believe this is because the US decided to impose a 50% tariff, but not necessarily ban it.

Is there an alternative? Is it possible to get from non-Russian sources like Finland? Other substitute products?

I have read that China has bought timber rights and is clear cutting northern russian old growth forest lands. It will take over 500 years to regrow. I doubt they are replanting.
    Bill d

I've had no trouble getting Baltic birch for the past year or two. The quality isn't what it used to be, though, so I suspect it's not from Russia, not that Russia ever was known for high quality products, though I guess their plywood was an exception. Anyway, that didn't stop the price from going up, but it has come down somewhat in the past year.

John

Many years ago, I utilized Apple Ply. My local dealer no longer stocks it.

Has anyone recently utilized it? Wonder if the quality still is the same and what a sheet of 3/4"x4'x8' now costs.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 08-29-2023 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spellin'

My local lumber yard has it in stock at reasonable prices.

Its not as clear a thing as it used to be. Used to you could order bb/bb and expect decent. Doesn’t seem like thats a product anymore. I can get “baltic birch” here in Brooklyn for $3/sf but it is straight trash and only caters to those looking for the edge detail. Lots of delam, voids, and patches. A few places off the radar still have 5x5 but its like $200.
    As an aside I don’t think it should be considered until there is no possibility we aren’t supporting a war effort.
    There’s been lots of great work done without baltic birch.

I haven't priced them lately, but two alternatives with a decent-looking veneer core are Garnica Plumaply and Columbia Europly Plus. Plumaply has a poplar core and Europly is birch; they both are available with various face veneer options. More $ than BB but better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    .... A few places off the radar still have 5x5 but its like $200.
    As an aside I don’t think it should be considered until there is no possibility we aren’t supporting a war effort.
    I don't think that "supporting the war effort" caveat has any place here.
    I'm not putting any of my projects on hold because of where the BB I use is sourced.
    It's available, it's good quality, it's about $120 for a 5x5 (3/4") sheet.
    And I'll continue to buy it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    To the OP, what are you wanting to use plywood for? You might consider making some lumber core...

https://youtu.be/yBrt4lFrmko?si=3laeLwnjeyG2QFA4

Craig Thibedo makes lumber core with skins of MDF as a substrate for veneering.

Bought 4'x8' Baltic birch yesterday at Andersen Plywood--1/4" = $65; 1/2" = $85.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have read that in Austria sawmills find metal buried in wood put there during ww2 as shrapnel.
    BilLD

I ordered (8) 1/4"x15"x30" BB for some door panels from Woodworkers Source for $69.99 shipped. Not a bargain but at least it is available. None in stock around my area.

/4" Baltic Birch Plywood Pack (Choose Your Size)
    Choose Your Size
    15"x30" (8 pcs)

Quantity:1 pks.

Product Total:$69.99

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    To the OP, what are you wanting to use plywood for? You might consider making some lumber core...
    Shop fixtures that will be made from plywood, so I'm hoping to avoid some of the voids and other issues with lesser grades of pine plywood or veneered mdf.