Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing My Table Saw

Lubing My Table Saw

I have the table off of my old Delta 10" cabinet saw and thought it a good time to give it a lube job. I have a can of WD-40 Quick Drying Silicone, but thought there might be a better choice. Any thoughts/suggestions most appreciated. TIA, Vince

Why not use grease? It will last a lot longer, stays put and is generally preferred if you're not in a high-temp, high-speed application. At least that's my opinion.

I took mine apart a few years ago. I used graphite, dry lubricant.

WD-40 can be used as a cleaner. I would advise taking a tooth brush and clean out all the gearing. Then re-apply white lithium grease for lube.

I like Dupont chain saver lube. Goes on wet and dries to wax. Does not attract dust.
    BilLD

Paraffin is my first choice in this application, white lithium grease is a distant second. The only thing I'd do with the can you have is get it far, far away from my woodshop. Silicone doesn't have any place there.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I took mine apart a few years ago. I used graphite, dry lubricant.

+1. NeoLube is your friend here.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use dry graphite lube.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I use paste wax applied with an old toothbrush.

Ken

You want something that doesn't hold sawdust. Paste wax has been a longtime favorite lube for low speed applications that doesn't attract and hold saw dust. The last time I lubed my table saw I used Tri Flow Teflon Lube. It goes on as a spray and dries so doesn't attract sawdust. At the time it was a DuPont product and was considerably less $ than what's on Amazon today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I have the table off of my old Delta 10" cabinet saw and thought it a good time to give it a lube job. I have a can of WD-40 Quick Drying Silicone, but thought there might be a better choice. Any thoughts/suggestions most appreciated. TIA, Vince
    Moly, dry powder. And, wear gloves.

Paraffin has more staying power than Wd40 or paste wax.

Blog Entries
    Lots of good answers. WD-40 is rarely one of them if the need is long term lubrication under pressure. I switched to marine grease years ago. I just did a maintenance run on my Saw Stop and everything was still well lubed. I cleaned everything out and re-lubed since that was why I was there . An approximately 12oz can of Sta-Lube

Saw Stop Maint 20221120 (14).jpg

has lasted me for years and will probably outlast me. I slip on latex gloves, add a dab with a Popsicle stick and rub it along the threads or ways to be lubed. Operate the mechanism once or twice, wipe off the excess, and you're good.

Saw Stop Maint 20221120 (13).jpg

This picture is before running the mechanism and wiping off the excess. Do not leave this much grease on your machine .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-08-2023 at 9:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do not leave this much grease on your machine .

Glenn
    the XO on my submarine used to say, "grease, dust, and time, make a very good glue."
    About an hour later we would cleaning and polishing Zerk fittings and actuator sleeves.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-08-2023 at 10:05 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Note for Non Americans, Paraffin means solid petroleum wax not liquid kerosene.
    Bill D