Well, it's hurricane season again, and this year its Idalia that's heading in our direction. Expected to be a Cat 3 storm as it passes by us, so major hurricane. Been preparing for a few days. Pretty well second nature after living here for 26 years.

Storm surge is projected to be up to 7 feet, which would be a concern as we're at 7 ft elevation, but we have a few barrier islands and an acre of mangroves between us and the Gulf of Mexico, so hopefully that will provide significant protection. Not thrilled that it's going to be a full moon, with normal 3 foot tides scheduled. Oh well. 7-10 inches of rain predicted for my area.

The power companies have been aggressively replacing power poles this summer, and trimming trees around power lines (which should help), but not burying them underground (way too wishful thinking about that. Way too expensive and they never do it). And, FWIW, they are great in responding en mass after the power outages to restore power. They really do coordinate that with multiple state's crews in impressive fashion. Really glad I built that back up power supply for our medication fridge. Hopefully it won't get tested. Lots of ice packs frozen in the freezer, cars gassed up, and Tesla fully charged.

Gulf of Mexico is crazy warm this year, which will definitely power things. I think we'll just get tropical storm force winds, and hopefully not much more than that. The Big Bend area of the panhandle will get the direct hit if the course stays on the projected track (which it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). I'm thrilled that Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers area isn't getting a direct hit again. It's still rough down there after last year. Lots of rebuilding still to be done.

Anyone in its path, please take this seriously. We always worry about newbies that move down here from up north and haven't been through a hurricane before (which is plenty of people the past few years), and haven't learned the lessons from them.