Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plants dangerous to pets

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    One not on the list that I always thought attracted them is grapes. They're sweet with a strong smell, so we do our best to keep the dogs away. Is it not true that its toxic?
    Grapes are indeed extremely toxic for dogs. Based on what I've read, there's something in grapes which can destroy the dog's kidneys. I get arguments about this from people who tell me they give their dogs grapes all the time with no issues. Well, the amount of grapes necessary to become toxic varies greatly on the specific grape and size of the dog. Why would anyone want to risk that?

For decades I've heard and read poinsettias are toxic to animals. But I have since read that's a myth.

my sheep dog used to like Lettuce, I asked her if she was a long haired guinea pig. She also stole my spaghetti once, think she had a well rounded diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    my sheep dog used to like Lettuce, I asked her if she was a long haired guinea pig. She also stole my spaghetti once, think she had a well rounded diet.
    I had two beagles and the only thing they would NOT eat was lettuce and parsnips. The male Beagle once jumped up on the dining room table and snatched a one year supply of heartworm medication. Of course, it was in his belly within a second. I tried to induce vomiting by giving him hydrogen peroxide. He gulped up multiple doses and just kept wagging his tail and looking at me. He never did vomit and he was somehow just fine. His stomach was cast iron.

The female Beagle pushed out a dining room chair, jumped up on the chair, jumped up onto the dining room table then jumped up on a console to snatch Mrs. Pat's bottle of vitamin D. She managed to get the bottle open and eat every capsule. She was in the doggie ICU for several days and managed to survive. My daughter accidentally locked her in the pantry one day. When I got home, I opened the pantry door to find her wagging her tail standing atop a HUGE mess with a VERY bulging midriff. Then, when I went to feed the male Beagle, she also wanted dinner!

I think whatever switch tells dogs they are full is missing in Beagles. Beagles; the ultimate chow hounds.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 09-11-2023 at 5:25 PM.

It's not just beagles. And I know it has nothing to do with the breed so it may be genetics. I've had dogs where you could dump a 50 pound bag of dog food on the floor and they would just eat a little and walk away. And I've had others that would keep sucking that food in until they would probably explode.

We have three dachshunds - two standars and one miniature. The miniature eats only as much as she wants, and will leave food in the bowl if she is not hungry enough. The standards eat like wolves and will eat everything they find. Our male will even try to get food the other dogs don't eat, so we have to watch him.

I'm pretty sure if we left the food bag out and open, the miniature would not care and the other two would be fat and sick from eating too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    my sheep dog used to like Lettuce, I asked her if she was a long haired guinea pig.
    My dog, disgusting pig that he is, likes kale. I've tried to convince SWMBO that's it's a gateway drug to quinoa, but she gives him bits of it anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Kennel Club said Kale is good for dogs, just checked.

Our dogs, Havanese, love any crunchy vegetable. They think the part of lettuce that we throw away is the greatest treat of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Kennel Club said Kale is good for dogs, just checked.
    Cooked leaves, probably. Raw stalks have calcium oxalate: kidney damage.

(Not sure what "kennel club" you're citing...found this on the AKC site: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...dogs-eat-kale/)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I had no idea there was such a variety in canine dietary preferences and then there was this in Monday's newspaper:

"Tallahassee's first off-leash dog park and bar...designated areas for large and small dogs, cool and shady areas and a bar serving beer, wine, coffee, kombucha and other beverage."

American Kennel Club ….. I don’t trust the foreign ones !

Blog Entries
    Our cat would chew on any flowers we brought into the house. He particularly went after Poinsettias.

Plants for cats
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute