Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 2 rasps would you buy to make a saw handle?

It's getting tougher to find Auriou rasps in general. I remember a while back they just about went under. I have a few of their carving gouges also, very nice. I understand that the Logier are on par but I've not used those.

The By Hand and Eye book is excellent but it's more of an explanatory on method of work and less of an "instructional" type publication - although it teaches a ton if that makes any sense. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I've lately been contemplating purchasing an 11. LV doesn't carry an 11 in the Auriou brand. They do have it in a Logier. Maybe that and the By Hand and Eye book.

Medium rare is how Candy likes hers.

I'm still enjoying the fading after glow of Prime Rib night at a little bistro across the river. Plus they have the hottest horse radish of any ever served to me in a restaurant. It is a PNW regional brand.

I think we will be going back more often.

In the Sacramento River Delta this might be the place to go > https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...p?utm_campaign

jtk

Last time I worked on a handle for a saw...been a few years...I simply use the belt from my 1" narrow belt sander. Did not even cut the belt, use stuck a finger into each end of the "loop" and pulled it back and forth like shining a shoe...how fast or how slow, depended on me...and how my arms felt that day...I could walk into Harbor Freight, pick out several different grits as needed...maybe $10 total....go back home and get to work the same day..
    Workshop Tour, Cheap shelves.JPG
    Yes, THAT sander...( that is a power planer on the shelf right above it)

I also have a scroll saw for any inside cuts..
    Workshop Tour, small tools.JPG
    Just in case...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    I could walk into Harbor Freight, pick out several different grits as needed
    For me, the nearest Harbor Freight is about a 30 mile round trip. Most of my use of abrasive paper on wood is on the lathe. A good rasp will out last a thousand sheets of sandpaper.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    It's getting tougher to find Auriou rasps in general.
    Gee whiz, John - I dunno about that. Lee Valley has them, Highland had them last time I looked, I even bought an Albi version direct from them/their retail connection recently.

https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/

So - nope - they are "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”

I used an Adria carcass saw as a template for a handle to attach to a table saw push-stick; Used a couple of Auriou rasps to cut in the edges. Gave the push stick away, so no photos.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

For me, it is a 2 mile drive each way...

when one only has to do ONE saw handle......
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Kent, thanks for that link. I've wanted to add a 5 grain for some time but didn't know where to find one. The other retailers you mention have only a limited offering. I stand by what I said though, they used to be much more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Gee whiz, John - I dunno about that. Lee Valley has them, Highland had them last time I looked, I even bought an Albi version direct from them/their retail connection recently.

https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/

So - nope - they are "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”

I used an Adria carcass saw as a template for a handle to attach to a table saw push-stick; Used a couple of Auriou rasps to cut in the edges. Gave the push stick away, so no photos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Kent, thanks for that link. I've wanted to add a 5 grain for some time but didn't know where to find one. The other retailers you mention have only a limited offering. I stand by what I said though, they used to be much more accessible.
    Yes, Lie Nielsen used to carry a full line. Now they do not carry them at all.

Lee Valley only has a few from which to select.

Weird, but Highland Woodworking gives me a warning screen.

Highland Woodworking Warning.png

Tools for Working Wood has hand stitched rasps from Pakistan.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Yes, Lie Nielsen used to carry a full line. Now they do not carry them at all.

Lee Valley only has a few from which to select.

Weird, but Highland Woodworking gives me a warning screen.

Highland Woodworking Warning.png
    First - youse fellers are correct - the domestiques do not carry a full line. I did not include that flavor in my response. Oddly enough, when I went to buy an Auriou ALBI, Highland had the coarse one available, but not the fine. The Auriou factory had the fine but not the coarse. The factory is back in stock, last time I looked - but even they will have some stock outages.

On the Highland website - yeah, they took an attack, I think. I called them Monday 28 Aug so I could get a price on something to compare with other sources [they are only 10 minutes away, so don't need shipping]. I mentioned the web site problem, and he said "Yeah, we know about it, and are working to get it fixed". The funny/sad thing was he couldn't look up the price on his computer, and had to walk back to the shelves to get the price off a can. Old school.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    For me, it is a 2 mile drive each way...

when one only has to do ONE saw handle......
    My misunderstanding of your comment >
    I could walk into Harbor Freight
    Until moving from California, most of my residences were within a short walk to the nearest hardware store, sometimes two.

jtk

Another vendor worth checking out for European hand tools. I’ve had good experiences ordering Auriou tools from classichandtools.com based in the UK. The shipping has always been fairly reasonable for an international order and pretty quick each time.

Blog Entries
    This thread has had its effect on me.

It triggered me into purchasing an 11 grain Liogier rasp. It arrived from LV yesterday evening. Well one has been on my wish list for a while.

jtk

Congrats on the new toy...ehem, I mean tool.

This thread has had its effect on me.

It triggered me into purchasing an 11 grain Liogier rasp. It arrived from LV yesterday evening. Well one has been on my wish list for a while.

jtk

Best rasps I've ever used were from Udo Pechar. He's a one man shop who also makes surgical tools in Germany.

I bought a fancy Auriou rasp off Craigslist/ebay (never used)....and it's nowhere near as nice.
    not sure about the Liogier rasps.

If anyone else is interested. The prices don't seem too bad.
    http://pechar-rasps.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    Another vendor worth checking out for European hand tools. I’ve had good experiences ordering Auriou tools from classichandtools.com based in the UK. The shipping has always been fairly reasonable for an international order and pretty quick each time.
    Bingo. Auriou has assigned Classic Hand Tools as their "fulfilment partner". So you can order on the foundry's site, but the action takes place with Classic. Or - you can just order from Classic as per Brian. Same thing.