Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage Renovation for Workshop

I always wondered if a cyclone mount could be a simple stand with a empty tire on top. Just set the cyclone into a correct diameter tire for easy vibration reduction flex mount.
    Bill D

I made some good progress on the duct work this week. I did end up ordering all of the fittings from Air Handling Systems in CT. They were great. I called too late in the day for them to get the order out the same day, but they got it out the following day and I received the shipment the day after that. I need a little more straight pipe, which I should have in hand next week. For now, all of the blast gates are in so I can still use the system but I will have to run a longer flex pipe from the bandsaw drop over to the tablesaw while I wait for the extra duct.

ducts.jpg

I also put up some french cleat boards. The first board is behind where the workbench will live and will hold mostly hand tools. It's been fun making the holders for each tool. I still have a box of tools to go through and I'll chip away at that as time permits.

hand tools.jpg

The other board is going to be for clamps and other general shop equipment. I plan on replacing the Woodriver parallel clamps at some point but it's not a priority. I bought those years ago when my budget was a little tighter and I always find myself reaching for the Bessey's first because they are much nicer to use. I also ordered to few Dubuque clamps for a test run and was really happy with them so I have another shipment of those on the way to aid in my workbench build.

clamps.jpg

I took a trip down to the local lumberyard for workbench materials last weekend. I would have preferred doug fir but they didn't have any in stock and I didn't want to spend hours combing through the pile at Home Depot so I ended up with spruce. The spruce is from a German company, rettenmeier, and the guy at the lumberyard spoke highly of it. It was very clear for construction grade and I measured 9-12% mc consistently from the middle of the boards, all 16ft 2x12s. Not what I planned on initially but it will do the job and seems like high quality lumber for the price.

wood pile.jpg

The shop needs a thorough cleaning tonight and then hopefully I'll start milling and gluing up parts for the workbench tomorrow. I have some house work to do over the next week so I'll be able to stay busy while waiting for glue to dry.