Thread: Solution for centering domino 700 on 3/4 Baltic birch

Blog Entries

Solution for centering domino 700 on 3/4 Baltic birch

Turns out a electric box cover works great.

$0.50 and double sided tape vs $110 Seneca? I'll take it : ) (not perfect obviously. Still have to mark top and bottom)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...50R/205124442?
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 08-24-2023 at 1:43 PM.

Andrew if you wanted to get it closer you could make the seneca out of 2 pieces of ply. I have the seneca and it is very nice but like you said can be recreated

Blog Entries
    I thought about it, but I already moved on.

I bought the big one in my bulky furniture phase. Maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a sale on the little brother at some point.

Seriously though, it centered it within a few .010s.

Obviously the other solution is to just tape on a thick piece of ply and then move the fence as needed to get centered. Would have done that if this didn't work so well.

Honestly, I don't worry about "centering", per se...I get it close by shimming or other means and just be careful to index off the correct surfaces so the joints line up. I just did this on a current project with my DF700 using 8mm Dominos in 20mm material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't get it. The Domino can center the mortise right out of the box. You measure the board thickness. You divide that by 2. You set that result on the table position indicator of the Domino. Done. No extra parts needed.

Blog Entries
    You must have the small one?

The large one can most definitely NOT center on anything under20 mm without some shimming.

Reference faces. Forget exact center.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I don't get it. The Domino can center the mortise right out of the box. You measure the board thickness. You divide that by 2. You set that result on the table position indicator of the Domino. Done. No extra parts needed.
    That's not true if you use the vertical stops. There are increments that don't divide by 2, for example if you have say a 7/8" panel. That said, Jim and James got it right. Don't overthink being in the exact center, just get "close" and focus more on reference surfaces.

Blog Entries
    20230825_093912.jpg

The big one can not center on anything less than 20 mm. Just so everyone is clear

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that if you shim with a electrical box cover you can get pretty darn close on 3/4 bb.

Buy a pack of 5x7" file cards. Stack up as many as needed. (0.011" to 0.025")
    Bill D