Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" bench top jointer or 6in floor standing jointer

Since I have limited space in my garage work shop, I decided to get a benchtop jointer. After much research, I bought the 8” Cutech. It seems to be almost identical to the Wahuda with 2 exceptions. The newer models have a longer fence, and more importantly they added 2 supports to keep the fence square. The biggest complaint I saw with most benchtop models was flex in the aluminum fence, and the extra supports eliminate that problem.

Of course the shorter bed length limits the length of boards you can flatten compared to a bigger jointer, but it’s a great machine for 95% of my needs. There’s an extension rail on each end when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was a day not long ago when I had to have a jointer today. I don't remember exactly why my big long Stanley Baileys weren't the best tool for the job, but I needed a jointer today. I am pretty sure there were multiple boards needing jointed.

Any road, I went on line to look at reviews and what was in stock at my local homestores. I narrowed my list down to three benchtop/ homestore jointers to see what my budget had to be. I had the cash, I still had the woodoworking problem. Before I drove to the homestores, I looked on CL and F marketplace and found a 6" floor model jointer that was under budget.

This was in the last three years, 2020 or later. At the time, and still currently in my opinion, the top of the heap for jointers that can run on 110/120 volts AC are the various 6" floor standing units. Jointing is a violent operation. Your machine needs to have mass and be stable; with coplanar feed tables and square fence assumed.

If you have to start with a benchtop jointer for space or $ constraints there are some highly rated tools out there. Next up, but still able to run on 110/120 volts are the 6" floor standing models. If 6" floor stander doesn't meet your needs, you are going to need a 220 volt circuit to run the next size up.

I cannot personally imagine moving from a 6"/120volt floor stander to an 8"/120 volt benchtop and being happy, but I am comfortable doing a LOT of my stock prep with handplanes. If a benchtop jointer meets your needs for the work you do, that is great, carry on.

Peter, get the 6" floor jointer. It's going to have more mass than the table top one. Most likely , longer beds also.
    Don't worry about how nice the cutter head is.. Plain old fashioned knives are just fine.

Another technique.. if the board is too wide for your jointer.. join what you can on the jointer.. let's say it's 9" wide and the joiner can only do 6".
    Then take a scrub plane or jointer plane and take care of the rest (the last 3" of width).. since the 6" part is already flat, you have a good reference surface.
    It doesn't have to be perfect if you have a planer.. you can plane the other side and then flip the board over.
    Also, if the left over (3" in this example) is quite thick, you can carefully flip the board over and rough out some of it.
    I'm not really a hand tool guy, but it's really not that bad to do it this way (I would never join a board by hand for fun, just not my thing).

I never had good luck flipping the board with every join, but I'm sure I wasn't doing it right.

FWIW, I vote for an 8" floor standing jointer with straight knives (to keep the cost down) and a long enough bed for accuracy. I see a lot of 6" jointers on craigslist, but rarely an 8" jointer; is it because there were so many more 6" models, or is it because people ultimately move up to an 8" jointer after working with a 6"? If the latter, save your money and buy once, rather than twice. I started with a 6" and in hindsight wish I hadn't, although I was able to sell my 6" for close to what I paid for it.

You didn't mention if you have a planer, but as one of the earlier posts said, you can't make an S4S board from rough lumber without one; you need to first establish one perfectly flat face with the jointer and then use the planer to get a perfectly parallel face. You can get two perfectly flat faces with just a jointer, but they won't necessarily be parallel. (Perhaps you already know this). In fact, a planer would be my first choice over a jointer, since you can easily reduce the thickness of S2S boards you can buy and avoid the "novice look" in which everything you build is 3/4" thick, even when it shouldn't be (such as drawer sides, etc.). But if you think you are going to stay with woodworking, you really need both, and you might as well get both at the same time since you need both to work with rough lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Since I have limited space in my garage work shop, I decided to get a benchtop jointer. After much research, I bought the 8” Cutech. It seems to be almost identical to the Wahuda with 2 exceptions.
    Cutech is now Wahuda.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Cutech is now Wahuda.
    Rich, unless you have updated information that I can’t find, they are not the same. Shinmax, the original manufacturer, is suing Wahuda for rebranding the Cutech jointers in the US. It’s a very confusing situation and I don’t know if it has been resolved.

Shinmax Industry Co., Ltd. v. Wahuda LLC a/k/a Wahuda Tools
    https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigati...ments/14035171

I have an 8" Wahuda, it works well, longer stock on oem machine not so much and gets fussy, the end supports just don't function well when you need them. I ended up building a cabinet for the jointer to sit on and another two cabinets on either side flanking the Wahuda (one on infeed side and one on outfeed side), and I built table extensions out of melamine, attached adjustable cabinet feet to the base of each table extension box, and removed the ends of the Wahuda extension wings using the extended tubes for support under the extensions tables. The build was sort of a pilot project to see if it would work (which it does). Using an allan wrench on the adjustable feet, I can tweak the table heights to get them pretty damn flat but there is lots of trial and error. It's working pretty well currently. I lost some garage wall space, which I originally wanted to preserve, but the cabinets now allow me to store other tools out of the way also, freeing up other space, so it was a decent win-win.

Peter, curious what you plan to do. Brian
    Brian

There are always in my area a lot of 6" floor standing jointers used for sale in my area, mostly because they upgraded to 8"+. So buy what you mentioned or go ahead and and buy an 8" floor standing jointer. The only other question is Helical or Knives. Basically it is a question of time to set knives vs. less often turning helical cutters. Unless you deal with a lot of figured wood then go helical. I have a 1985 Powermatic model 60 8" with 65" bed and knives. If you think 2-3 inches more of infeed and outfeed will make you a better woodworker go for it, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Rich, unless you have updated information that I can’t find, they are not the same. Shinmax, the original manufacturer, is suing Wahuda for rebranding the Cutech jointers in the US. It’s a very confusing situation and I don’t know if it has been resolved.

Shinmax Industry Co., Ltd. v. Wahuda LLC a/k/a Wahuda Tools
    https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigati...ments/14035171
    Sorry, I was referring to the company name.

Always wondered why DeWalt didn't develop a benchtop jointer to accompany their popular and well thought of 735 planer.

Or did they?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.