Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFD Programming Questions

VFD Programming Questions

Stan Kern is looking for help getting his new spindle up and running. In addition to installing an external potentiometer for speed control, what other parameters does he need to set. I have attached a link to the users manual pages for his VFD. I would have thought that if he purchased these as a set the VFD would come pre-programmed to match the spindle. That was the case with my 5HP water cooled ATC spindle/VFD combo I purchased a few years back.

I'm hoping that Gary Campbell will chime in here.

Thanks,
    David

"David
    i have the spindle hooked up but i cannot seem to understand how to program it as the frequency.,speed and 3 other items are required
    but when i go to program it , it seems hard to understand
    i attsched about 3/4 of the manual and can scan the balance
    The VFD has to be programmed and that's where I am lost
    thanks for looking into this
    stan"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2mFLJMYUvGtuz2m9
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-23-2023 at 2:19 AM.

Mostly you need to put in the motor info.
    Frequency is measured in HZ 60 hz is generally your motor running design rpm/power. This can go up
    I would lock hz so you can not go past 60.
    You can program soft starts which is something I would do.(not too soft that it takes minutes to start)

Another item this vfd has is braking. That may be a nice option to slow down the spindle if time is important.

I would try and find some youtube videos on your paticular VFD. Ive worked with many over the years. They are basically all the same but navigation is usually different.

I am looking at utubes as you say navigation is different possibly that's my problem
    I know i need to get these settings into the VFD
    V-----380volts
    HZ----300
    RPM---18000
    KW(HP)-7.5
    AMP---15
    Is.f--poli2..TA:20 C ..serv:s1
    n=0.8-cosp 0.75...ip:50...air cooling
    I will keep plugging at it

I might have got it , seems like its working fine
    Is there a procedure to startup the spindle before you start cutting
    ie to warm it up

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I might have got it , seems like its working fine
    Is there a procedure to startup the spindle before you start cutting
    ie to warm it up
    Yes - push the start button on the vfd, or turn the spindle from your software control program (on-screen). What control software are you using?
    David

No , I meant i read someplace you are supposed to warm it up ie so many minutes at a low rpm and the so many minutes at a high rpm

getting there

things are progressing, i have inputted most items that i was sure of , at least its running
    Attached Images Attached Images

No , I meant i read someplace you are supposed to warm it up ie so many minutes at a low rpm and the so many minutes at a high rpm
    The warm-up macro on my Camaster is about 5 minutes long...the spindle runs after the machine checks limits. Even if you have to do it manually, yea...do the warm-up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ok and vary the speed ie low rpm then near max 18000

also because i was a router person I ran the router for all my work at 19000 rpm , but its not the case with the spindle
    could someone give me some ball park figures for hardwood---softwood--plywood 3/4 thick and acrylics 1/4 thick
    thanks

also because i was a router person I ran the router for all my work at 19000 rpm , but its not the case with the spindle
    could someone give me some ball park figures for hardwood---softwood--plywood 3/4 thick and acrylics 1/4 thick
    thanks
    Stan - it's mostly based on chip load. I think there are other posts here talking about that in detail.

David

ok I use the chip load in aspire

Stan - you may find this useful for chip load calculations.

David

https://mellowpine.com/cnc/chip-load-guide/

thanks
    Google cnc chip load chart or cnc chip load calculator. All kinds of info. If you are using Vectric software, and probably others, chip load is calculated when you select the bit parameters, and you can adjust them to get whatever chip load desired.

John