Thread: Smart TV

Blog Entries

Smart TV

Is there a good way to pull up random URL's on a smart TV? A zoom meeting for example or our Church's livestream? https://livestream.com/christwaterford/events/10934183

I can do it using our Apple TV box and screen sharing from my phone, but is there a more direct method?

I suppose it depends on how smart the TV is.
    NOW you tell me...

On my LG you use the remote to click on the web browser icon and use the on-screen keyboard to type in the URL. You can save it to Favorites. You go to the Home screen to show the icons. If the on-screen keyboard is too much of a PITA you can plug in a USB keyboard.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 08-22-2023 at 10:18 AM.

If you have a PC laptop... most of them have a HDMI output... use a HDMI to HDMI cable and use the PC keyboard to select what you want... or a VGA to VGA cable...
    that is how I have my shop setup using a 23" TV (getting older and like a big screen vs laptop...
    Windows makes it easy to display on either screen or both at one time...
    The smart tv will probably not have a microphone for zoom meetings so you can use laptop's mike...

If you want to go wirelessly get a Microsoft Display Adapter. Only works with PCs and Android phones and tablets but you can mirror those devices on any TV with a HDMI port. I use it to watch YouTube videos and show pictures on my phone on a larger format TV.

Im not sure if apple lets you do it but the prime fire series lets you use your phone as a remote. I would open the internet browser on my firecube and copy and paste the address using my cell phone as the remote.

On my $500 55" LG smart tv I simply use the voice activation. IE: "YouTube Life Bible Fellowship Church sermon", and it usually get me close enough I can pick one of several that is my goal. After a few times it will know which one I usually pick and go right to it.

Same thing with movies: "Show me free adventure movies" or "Show me Marilyn Monroe movies".

Or woodworking: "YouTube woodworking Stumpy Nubbs", and it gives me the newest ones first.

If I had to type it in on my phone I would never use it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    No problem with YouTube, it is an app on my TV. Love voice command. I ended up just using an HDMI cable to extend my PC screen to the TV for a Zoom meeting, Easy peasy.

HDMI CABLE !! Use a HDMI ADAPTER from any tablet or phone and voila

On a PC you can wirelessly send the PC screen to the TV (that has a wireless network connection setup) with the TV's "Share Screen" app or equivalent.
    Turn the share screen on on the TV
    On your PC:
    Press Windows Key and P together (P for "Project")
    Select Duplicate display
    Click on "Connect to a wireless display" and select your TV from the list
    Your PC screen should now appear on the TV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    On a PC you can wirelessly send the PC screen to the TV (that has a wireless network connection setup) with the TV's "Share Screen" app or equivalent.
    Turn the share screen on on the TV
    On your PC:
    Press Windows Key and P together (P for "Project")
    Select Duplicate display
    Click on "Connect to a wireless display" and select your TV from the list
    Your PC screen should now appear on the TV.
    Thanks. I got as far as my TV asking permission to connect, clicked YES and no response.
    NOW you tell me...

I hate that word "permission" but because it didn't say anything further like "denied", it possibly was happy with your "Yes" answer (just speculating).
    Does your Screen Share app say Miracast? Mine says Miracast / Intel WiDi and I think Miracast availability is important for working with Windows.
    I see that you can make a connection through a slightly different route using the Win K keys together. It may provide some insight.
    Other than this, I can't be of much help. You could try Googling, I guess.

the simplest way is to use Chromecast and use your laptop or phone to stream whatever you want without complication. If it has Chromecast built in, then it is super easy. Otherwise, you'll need to HDMI dongle.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC