Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience working with Teak?

Well, here's something that no one mentioned. Years ago, I was cutting some teak with handtools. It might have been a chisel or a saw. I abraded my finger with the tool, and the cut was contaminated by the teak oil. Now, years later, I remember that the wound, a minor wound by DIY standards, took more than a week to heal. Anyway, I would caution you to be careful with the teak oil. Maybe wear latex gloves if you have cuts on your hand.

IMG_3522.jpgIMG_3521.jpg

Thank you everyone for contributing with their experience and suggestions. Here's how the vanity turned out. I used titebond lll after cleaning with acetone. I only managed to put one coat of tung oil, however.

That’s nice piece.
    The teak looks great love the smell of teak.
    Aj

Daniel, beautifully done - very "clean" design.

I'm curious how you approached the mitered corners?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bejarano View Post
    IMG_3522.jpgIMG_3521.jpg

Thank you everyone for contributing with their experience and suggestions. Here's how the vanity turned out. I used titebond lll after cleaning with acetone. I only managed to put one coat of tung oil, however.

Very attractive design.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thank you Andrew

When I had the sides and top all ready and sanded, I took them together with the whole carcass to the table saw. First I mitered the sides at the top where they would join the top. I then clamped them to the carcass' sides. Mind you that at this point the carcass is sitting on top of a wheeled cart in such a way that the sides can drop off the top of the cart. Awkward to do by yourself. I then mitered one edge of the top and snuck into my final bevel little by little (meaning several passes until you get the correct length)

I am not sure if that made sense.

I finally bisqueted the joints either #0 or #10 bisquets as closed to the undersides of each panel as possible. I made sure I had the straightest pieces of wood for the tops and sides. This helped getting a tight and crisp joints