Thread: Would you buy a new in box Rockwell Blade Runner for $40?

Would you buy a new in box Rockwell Blade Runner for $40?

Somebody on Marketplace is selling new unopened Rockwell Blade Runners for $40.

I am really tempted to buy one - just because.

The biggest problem I have is - what would I use it for?

I'm afraid it would end up just like my Black and Decker Workmate. Something that looked like it would be a good idea -but- never really was good for anything.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

They're going for $160 at Acme Tools. NIB? Stolen goods is my first thought, unless you are familiar with the seller.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have one of the originals, with the SS covered table. Had it maybe 8 years and only used it a few times, but those times it worked very nicely. I use it when I need to cut aluminum or light sheet metal and inside cuts on wood. There is a lot more control with the table than trying freehand with a jigsaw.

Best advice: Immediately throw away the blades that come with it, and get some appropriate Bosch blades for your needs. Night and day difference. Easy blade changes and variable speed work well, dust collection OK.

I remember putting a thread here some years ago reporting on how straight it cut if you carefully set up the mousey fence, and using it for inside cuts for breadboard in my kitchen.

If you have room for it, and use a jigsaw very often, you will like it. I don't use it much, but I will keep it, just don't expect it to replace your band saw or whatever. Mine sits on a shelf, at the correct height to just pull it out about 10 " and use it right there.

YMMV

EDIT: Got mine for $40 like new from a guy who hated it. Then again it was set up wrong and he was using the original blades.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-21-2023 at 8:38 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Nope. Even at $40 it's still too much for such a gimmicky tool. Isn't it just a jig saw mounted under a table?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Nope. Even at $40 it's still too much for such a gimmicky tool. Isn't it just a jig saw mounted under a table?
    Are you saying $40 is too much for a jigsaw? Don't have the Bladerunner but have used my Bosch mounted upside down in my vice effectively. Easier than trying to secure a small piece and cut the traditional way.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    People here will spend hundreds on a router table and special lifting device rather then spend 1/3 as much to get a shaper with a motor. No accounting for taste.
    I do not see it as any better then a jigsaw with a spring to the ceiling for throat depth.
    Bill D