Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to look for when buying used mortiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I really don't see where we disagree.
    If what you can afford and have space for is a benchtop version, there are certainly some models that are worth a look.
    The fact that most don't have adequate clamping, or table size or XY travel and so on, just makes them more difficult, time consuming and often times not as precise as the full size versions. This is why IMO, they fall short at their price point.
    To each their own.
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, this is where we disagree. You stated: "They just fall short in every category except price". I interpret this statement to mean they are inferior in every way ("every category" as you put it) except for being cheaper to buy. This more than implies that all benchtops are not capable of having any advantage over full size floor models ("fall short in every category...") and can't even be considered to be on an equal footing in any way, shape, or form with a full size floor model. My original post simply addressed two categories in which benchtops were not necessarily inferior ( or ("fall short...") to full size floor models. My point was that in terms of the amount of space they take up, benchtops are actually better when available space is at a premium and one's shop simply doesn't have the room for a full size floor model. Secondly, as far as accuracy, and again I can only speak to my British made Multico benchtop, it is capable of producing mortises, including through mortises, as cleanly as my Powermatic heavy duty floor model. It may take considerably more time and effort, but the results can be the same. The results of one are in no way inferior to the results of the other.

I like one trick ponies that do one thing really well. Make sure the bit is parallel to the fence by rotating it; Make sure the bit is sharp and well honed; Make sure the depth stop is accurately set, and you're good to go.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I like one trick ponies that do one thing really well. Make sure the bit is parallel to the fence by rotating it; Make sure the bit is sharp and well honed; Make sure the depth stop is accurately set, and you're good to go.
    Agreed, I’ve and used the General International bench top mortiser for over 20 years.

It gets used on almost every project.

It’s not noisy, doesn’t spew sawdust from here to next week and produces square ended mortises which I like as I make square tenons on the shaper.

Buy good chisels and bits, keep them sharp and you’ll be good to go.

They also are great at angled mortises which I use when making chairs.

Regards, Rod