Thread: Tormek Honing Paste PA-70 Too Thick

Tormek Honing Paste PA-70 Too Thick

I am trying to use an 8+ year old tube of the Tormek PA-70 honing paste but it is too thick. It is “squishy” in the tube but comes out lik ultra thick caulk like a very soft eraser and cannot be spread onto the leather wheel. I have ordered more of it but it will arrive next week. Is there anything such as light oil that I can mix into it to make it work before my new tube arrives?

I suggest you put a little bit on a piece of paper and experiment. I'd start with water and move up.

Absolutely mix some oil in. I use mineral oil gun oil. I used to use 3 in 1 until I ran out.
    I put the oil on the leather wheel. I doubt there’s any laws prohibiting mixing it with a paste.
    love my Tormek
    Good Luck
    Aj

My tormek paste is still in decent shape, but i routinely use a bit of mineral oil with my regular strop and green compound. A little bit of heat and some oil turns the green compound into a butter consistency instead of chalky/flaking off the leather.

I bought an extra tube when I got my tormek. Lol, what was I thinking?

I mixed a couple of dollops of the PA-80 with a squirt or two of 3 in 1 oil. Seemed to apply ok to the wheel but it was messy. I asked Tormek Technical for suggestions yesterday but have not heard back.

Hopefully you will not have the same issue with your second tube. Will let you know if Tormek Technical says anything different.