Thread: Oops- A near miss

Blog Entries

Oops- A near miss

Or as George Carlin would put it a near hit. As an DIY woodworker, yesterday I was sanding with the Festool RO150. I was holding a panel in my lap (I know, mistake #1) and I was sanding away some glue lines. Well I didn't feel the 80 grit was being aggressive enough so I changed the setting on the sander to the more aggressive mode. Talk about torque. I let it get away from me and it grabbed and tore a large hole out of my thick tee shirt. Tee ended up being wrapped around the sanding platen and I guess overloading the sander causing it shut down, thank goodness. Quite a scare. AND I WAS JUST SANDING. Mental note, any power tool can and will grab ya. Could have been a lot worse.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Glad your OK! Yep, it’s easy to dismiss tools and processes that you consider safe and relax too much.

Most folks are careful because things in their shop can cut them. They forget that stuff with a motor spins, which is just about as dangerous as cutting.

Blog Entries
    Glad you weren't hurt. There is a fair amount of country windage about "safe" tools. Treat them all with respect (even hand tools) or pay the price. Cracks me up when folks talk about how safe a bandsaw is. You've been to a butcher shop, right? I was fairing an edge at the edge sander. I was concentrating too much on a smooth rolling motion and allowed my downstream fingernail to just brush the abrasive surface.

Sander-Middle-finger.jpg

The large grit caught the nail and rolled my fingertip around. I didn't even realize what happened and had to reverse engineer it after seeing the boo-boo. It happens so fast and in so many ways. Be ever diligent.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-18-2023 at 2:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Happy here it wasn't more than 1/10 HP involved ....

Vague memory of *something* getting wrapped up in *something* too many years ago to remember the details...

Tee shirt pulled over my head ... or *somebody's* head...

Too many years... or too much booze????

Any more of that behavior Tim and you need to move one town over to Discomfort TX.

I'll get my coat...

Ya in rotex mode it may as well be a grinder. I have had and seen many incidents with them. They are unforgiving and the first thing the guys in the field do is take off the guards and remove the handles. I myself have a nice scar on my wrist from a razer wheel in a grinder grabbing my shirt. Lucky for me the shirt stopped the motor and also lucky the cutting wheel was self cauterizing.

"Power tool" and "lap" - Nope - those two don't go together...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Maybe a flack vest hanging next to your sander? Whew, just reading that one gave me chills.

Glad it ended well.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I believe this is one of the big reasons why they say DO NOT USE GLOVES on a table saw, lol.

Any motorized tool is just like the dog that doesn’t bite, no such thing exists. Over the years I’ve seen clothing, of all kinds, jewelry, hair, cords, various forms of paper, tools hit and thrown cause injuries. Most are minor thankfully. No loose clothing no jewelry of any kind including that wedding ring long hair well tied up eye protection always. Hand tools are just as dangerous. My worst injury came from a coping saw of all things, cut a tenden. Treat all tools like the dog that DOES’NT BITE.
    Jim

Sounds like the end of your lap dancing
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC