Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Got Back From Ukraine (and Boy are My Arms Tired)

Just Got Back From Ukraine (and Boy are My Arms Tired)

Spent a week there exploring volunteer opportunities, mainly rebuilding roofs. Good food, vodka and beer. Nice people
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    I admire your spirit of service to those in need- well done! would love to hear the stories of your visit. Please stop by next time you're in town!

Best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Spent a week there exploring volunteer opportunities, mainly rebuilding roofs. Good food, vodka and beer. Nice people
    it’s off season there ,and some good deals. If it’s noisy , turn up the TV ! Good Work Mr. McCurnin, glad you are back safe.

Here is a photo of a Babusia, a Ukrainian grandmother, after we gave her presents from the US. Really heart warming story. She spoke to us in the only English she knew, "God Bless You." It was worth the entire cost of the trip to see that smile.

DSC_0764b.jpg
    Regards,

Tom

Thanks for your volunteer work, Tom, especially given the level of potential danger. You're a good person.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So, one of the days we walked out of the hotel to a 60 degree day with a heavy drizzle, light rain, and windy. I turned to the wife, and jokingly said, this would be a nice day for a funeral.

I turned the corner, and there was indeed a funeral, for three local soldiers who died at the front. Our guide quickly scoured the city center and got us some yellow and blue flowers to lay at the foot of the coffins. Most of the citizens stood at silent salute while the coffins went past. We also saluted, and laid the flowers at the alter.

I needed a drink, so as an air raid sounded, we went to a basement bar and waited out the drill, with young men apparently recognizing me as American, bought me shots of ice cold Vodka, "Ukrainian vodka is the best," they repeatedly told me, and I didn't want to debate vodka.

However, they had an indoor shooting range, so for a modest price, I grabbed a sub machine gun and started in on targets of Putin. I am a bit ashamed but I must admit that shooting targets of Putin with a sub machine gun doing shots of Ukrainian vodka with Ukrainians during an air raid will be one of the more memorable things in my life.

IMG_7228small.jpgITGX8426.JPG
    Regards,

Tom

Thanks for your humanitarian efforts! Well done, Sir! Well done, indeed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well done Tom, and I enjoyed your story of the funeral, the basement bar and the Putin target practice!

How was the work on roofing? Was it similar to working with Habitat for Humanity or such?

Blog Entries
    Who did you go thru? Did you have a contact there already?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I needed a drink, so as an air raid sounded, we went to a basement bar and waited out the drill, with young men apparently recognizing me as American, bought me shots of ice cold Vodka, "Ukrainian vodka is the best," they repeatedly told me, and I didn't want to debate vodka.
    There are a number of us Gen X and younger on this forum that have never witnessed first-hand the impact of war on our daily lives and how life-altering it can be for the men, women and children. We have only seen pictures, videos and read books about the impacts of war - if that. Knowing that most folks in Ukraine are dealing with drastic changes to their incomes, homes, food and family life, it's impressive the young men can welcome a stranger, open their wallets and buy drinks for a new-found friend.

Thank you for sharing your stories.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Sounds like an amazing trip. Not without some risks involved as well. You made friends, memories, and got a first hand boots on the ground view of their daily lives. The sacrifices they are making to defend their land and homes. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Thank you for doing that work, I admire you for it. -Howard

Well done, it's actions like yours that reminds us there are still good people out there.

Glory to the Heroes!! Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦