Thread: Rebuild a Walker-Turner 16" Bandsaw?

Rebuild a Walker-Turner 16" Bandsaw?

Hi,

New to the forum.

I'm wanting to add a bandsaw for resawing. Ran across a Walker-Turner 16" Bandsaw, but am a little concerned. This machine looks like it may have been rode hard and put away wet. I'm comfortable doing anything up to what requires machine shop capacity, but have little experience with bandsaws and therefore have some questions:

Here it is: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/t...646713653.html (NOTE to Moderators: My understanding is it is ok to post link if it is source of what I am looking to buy, and not something I am selling. If I am wrong, please delete this link. Thank you.)

So first question to ask will be "How long has it been outside?" But beyond that...

(1) What should I ask before I go down to see it? What would quickly rule it out beyond cracks in frame/table?

(2) What to check when I see it? My checklist so far is to look for:
    - cracks in the frame and table,
    - check arbor/tilt mechanism as I understand these usually break,
    - see if bearing still turn or do they all need to be replaced,
    - turn by hand to measure runout on wheels,
    - table is flat
    - see if anything else is missing or obviously broken.

What else should I check?

(3) Are there any parts on this beast that are made of unobtainium? Is there anything else beyond frame/table that would immediately rule it out?

(4) Are there any typical repairs that may look do-able, but are secretly much more difficult than they would seem?

(5) I haven't been able to find comparable sales, is that close to a good price?

I am assuming it needs new tires, probably bearings for wheels and blade guides, wiring, possibly motor and surely the cap at the least, but it looks like the rest is simply clean, derust, paint, setup/tuneup, and use. So what am I missing that is going to break my heart or bank account later? Assuming worst case scenario, how much is it likely to cost to have this doing a great job again? I understand these are great machines and would love to have it working in my shop.

(Already ordered Lonnie Bird's The Bandsaw Book to guide setup and tuneup)

Thanks

Chuck

I think you have good list. Hopefully it doesn’t have a weird bearing size that extinct or expensive
    It looks like a good candidate for restoration if you can get it a low price.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I saw one at an auction once looked like a good saw.I'm not sure how well it would do for resawing. It may not be able to tension a resaw blade.

You’ll need tires, bearings, belt and motor. Derust and paint is owner preference. Only likely breaks are door hinges, check the grunions.
    Chuck

I like all my Walker Turner machines. I've seen that bandsaw for sale for a long time. It needs to be $free-$50 to make it worthwhile. On machines such as that, non-running, in need of significant work, I only offer picking it up and paying scrap price. This offer has worked at least 4 times for me. Reason is that one can inspect it all one wants, but may still get it home and find a crack in a casting.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Remove table before moving or you may break the trunnions. Bearing grease is at least 60 years old so I would replace all bearings. EDTA is your friend to remove rust. Looks okay to me. The pulley speed RPM looks too high to me.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    I like all my Walker Turner machines. I've seen that bandsaw for sale for a long time. It needs to be $free-$50 to make it worthwhile. On machines such as that, non-running, in need of significant work, I only offer picking it up and paying scrap price. This offer has worked at least 4 times for me. Reason is that one can inspect it all one wants, but may still get it home and find a crack in a casting.
    I agree, that is a $50 parts machine. When they take pictures of a rusty machine outside, there will be bolts that are rusted in and any sliding feature could be rusted solid as well.

Thank you all. Great forum here!

I'm going to think about it, but am now leaning towards passing on it. Moving it is a big chore, and once it is in my garage, it looks like a lot of time that would have to come at the expense of other projects. Sad, but as a famous philosopher once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Chuck