Thread: Pirate Chest for Kids

Pirate Chest for Kids

Solid maple pirate chest for the kids.Finish is Enduro-Var II from General Finishes.
    "Iron" bands are aluminum spray painted to cut down on weight.
    Hinges are Rockler Lid-Stay torsion hinges to prevent accidents with the very heavy lid.
    The nails are genuine old fashioned square cut nails, from Lee Valley.
    It weights ~65 lbs.

PXL_20230813_192818696.jpgPXL_20230806_152923836.jpgPXL_20230806_152927458.jpgPXL_20230813_192824474 - Copy.jpg

Very nice, I like the hardware. One question, can the lock clasp engage itself when closing? Kinda reminds me of the old refrigerator clasps.

Looks good and I think any kid would love their own Pirate chest.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Very nice, I like the hardware. One question, can the lock clasp engage itself when closing? Kinda reminds me of the old refrigerator clasps.
    Sorta, it's a little tight. Even if it did, there's a good crack around the top. It would be scary for them, but no permanent injury, unlike a sealed fridge. I originally didn't put on the clasp, but my 5 year old daughter had issues raising the lid without a handle of some sort.

Andrew nice job. I tried to do this once, but got stumped at figuring out the geometry for cutting the slats for the top - the right combination of widths and bevel angles. Any enlightenment? I want to try again.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I like your project, Andrew! I am sure the kids will enjoy it for years to come! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Andrew nice job. I tried to do this once, but got stumped at figuring out the geometry for cutting the slats for the top - the right combination of widths and bevel angles. Any enlightenment? I want to try again.
    Honestly the top was the most challenging part of this project. I also goofed a bit, and had to add another board to the back to make it fix the box. If I had to do it again, I'd build the top first, then adjust the box.

I mostly tried to follow this guide here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmZHJeQ6jw

The other thing I'd change if I was doing this again, is that I'd make a gluing jig for gluing the top together. I tried tape and ratchet straps, which worked fine for the smaller test boxes of about 3"x4", but was pretty poor at this scale, resulting in some gaps between the slats.

That is a clean looking piece there! Kids will always remember it for sure!