Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping a neighbor sell a lumber stash

Helping a neighbor sell a lumber stash

Hi folks. I was recently introduced to a woman whose husband passed away a year ago and left behind a large stash of lumber.

When I went to her house, I was expecting to find a charity case of 2x4s. What I ran into was two large mixed piles of skip-planed hardwood. A lot is wide (>14”) 4/4 beech, but there’s also a fair amount of wide and thick (8/4, 12/4) white oak, plus Spanish cedar or mahogany and some random exotics…all mixed in with the occasional 2x6 from Home Depot. Most seems to be 10-12 feet long.

At first I thought about just grabbing a few sticks for myself and going on my way, but the piles were impossible for one person to sift, and I found myself wanting to do more to help this woman out. I lost my dad nine months ago and this woman is right where my mom is. She wants to get rid of this giant mess under her deck, but she also wants to honor her husband by not just giving it away his treasured stash to the first guy with a flat bed.

The problem is that it’s sort of precisely the wrong amount of wood. It’s way too much for an individual hobbyist to deal with. Certainly too much for me--it would probably take me a full day and a hernia just to un-pile it, and she can’t deal with dozens of random lowballing craigslisters who want a deal on a single board. On the other hand, it’s a messy pile of uncertain lumber in a tiny alley; I doubt any commercial outfit would want it.

Any advice, creekers? FWIW, this is in the DC metropolitan area. I’m attaching a few pictures. For scale, the widest boards are ~16" wide.
    IMG_84142.jpgIMG_84152.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam Shankar; 08-13-2023 at 10:59 PM.

I'd advertise in Craigslist take all or nothing. $500 OBO
    Regards,

Tom

FB Marketplace is a good option for local sale, including at that scale, and may be stronger than Craig's List at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ive purchased a few lots similar to what you describe. Unfortunately, you cant have it both ways. As you say, it's too much material for most hobbyists and too much of a headache for any commercial outfit. This means you are either taking the time and labor to sort it properly and list each separately to maximize the value, or you are selling it as-is for a discounted rate. In my experience, the lots i purchased were enormous headaches. Moving thousands of disorganized board feet by hand really really sucks. A lesson for all of us, if you are going to pack rat hoard lumber, then atleast do it in a way that it's accessible by some form of mechanical assistance. My last experience was probably my last.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Ive purchased a few lots similar to what you describe. Unfortunately, you cant have it both ways. As you say, it's too much material for most hobbyists and too much of a headache for any commercial outfit. This means you are either taking the time and labor to sort it properly and list each separately to maximize the value, or you are selling it as-is for a discounted rate. In my experience, the lots i purchased were enormous headaches. Moving thousands of disorganized board feet by hand really really sucks. A lesson for all of us, if you are going to pack rat hoard lumber, then atleast do it in a way that it's accessible by some form of mechanical assistance. My last experience was probably my last.
    We should be keeping a list too with rough selling price for our wives. But the downside is they will most likely kill us, whether out of anger or hope to collect that number.

Biggest concerns with stacks of stored lumber is powder post beetle. Stacked in a barn should always be avoided as that is the perfect breeding grounds for a big infestation. I've been selling off my turning wood collection for the last several years. It's turned out to be a pretty nice part time business. But 10-15 year old 6-8" thick blocks are more rare than boards and the market is pretty good.

Hate to say it but that pile, in that condition and location, has "Free wood" written all over it. (Outside, in the dirt, unorganized and a pain to get to even to look at it.)

Just getting someone to agree to take it all and clean up after themselves will be a win.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Hate to say it but that pile, in that condition and location, has "Free wood" written all over it.
    Yeah, I'm sort of dreading offering up that conclusion (or the $50-$500 equivalent). I'm thinking it would be a fair deal for me to sort and stack it in return for as much of the nicer stuff as I could reasonably use.

Sad that premium hardwood was so poorly stored. Quite the waste. If the lady is just trying to get rid of the piles vs selling with some expectation of return, you might try contacting a local woodworking club (check that they are 501c3) or other non-profit to see if they might be interested in a donation. Even if only 50% of the pile is usable, a non-profit should be interested. I know I would be. If they are, have them pick up vs you figuring out how to transport. If they take it, the lady can claim the donation on taxes.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 08-14-2023 at 1:46 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    .........they will most likely kill us, whether out of anger or hope to collect that number.
    Tools, not lumber, will be mine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shankar View Post
    Yeah, I'm sort of dreading offering up that conclusion (or the $50-$500 equivalent). I'm thinking it would be a fair deal for me to sort and stack it in return for as much of the nicer stuff as I could reasonably use.
    I think this is the right approach. Stored the way it has been is going to make it hard to sell unless you pull it out of there, sort and organize it, and house it somewhere more appropriate. His wife will appreciate both having it cleaned out and that it's going to good use.

A school or 4H club might be another option if you can get them to come haul it out and away.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Sad that premium hardwood was so poorly stored. Quite the waste.
    It's not so much poorly stored as it is stored in a way that makes it really hard to sift and assess. It's hard to be sure what's in anything but the top layers, especially since I'm not exactly an expert on wood identification. (BTW, can anyone give me a sure-fire way to ID beech? Because I think she has a ton of it.)

Your point about donation to a nonprofit is a good one.

I just looked at the photos more closely...I'd be really, really, really itchy about critters given how that was stored so close to the ground and a tarp or a porch isn't helping with that, either. I think every darn board needs to be carefully inspected in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shankar View Post
    (BTW, can anyone give me a sure-fire way to ID beech? Because I think she has a ton of it.)
    The rays in beech give it a very distinctive appearance: gazillions of closely spaced, short darkish dashes in more or less parallel lines that are immediately apparent on the face of the board. If you can get a hand plane on the board, it should be obvious, or not. ... I once made an armoire out of beech ages ago. It's an interesting wood but have rarely seen it available commercially and it seems an unlikely find in a hobbyist stash. But who knows, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd be really, really, really itchy about critters....
    You mean wood-eating critters or hand-biting critters? Anything that would cause harm to my existing stash?