Thread: Using a damaged carbide router bit

Using a damaged carbide router bit

Long ago I mistakenly tried to ease a 1/2" carbide router bit from the collet and (like an idiot, or better yet, a no common sense person) ended up using pliers. Yes, I know stupid, because I chipped the sides minutely, but still, a chip is a chip..
    I don't use the router very much, but I have a project that would benefit from using the same size upspiral bit.
    I couldn't rehabilitate the carbide bit to new specs, but I did dress the chips with a diamond slip, and I'm tempted to try the bit CAREFULLY in the router.
    Does anyone have any experience in this type of situation?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Other than a poor quality of cut, a damaged bit can cause vibration which may cause more problems.
    If you use it, please be careful. A small chip is "usually" nothing to worry about but you never know, use caution.

I have one or more chipped router bits that I have used for years without concern.

"Danger Will Robinson!"

Chipped carbide not only affects balance, but there may also be unseen damage. Carbide is actually brittle despite also being "tough". Replace it, IMHO. If the damage is just at the tip, there are companies that sharpen them, but it would likely cost as much if not more to ship it and get the work done in lieu of just buying a new piece of tooling. Honestly, if it's not a size you use really often, there are very good deals on Amazon and other online marketplaces for things like this at very attractive prices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim Becker. Put it in the trash. Carbide will hairline fracture that you can not see. If it’s solid carbide you can turn it around glue it in a handle and use it for a burnisher other than that trash it. Had a piece picked from my arm years back and the bit was not broken that I knew of. It’s a bullet at those kind of rpm’s.
    Jim

Carbide shrapnel flying into your gut or face, vs $40 for a new bit? Easy decision for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Carbide shrapnel flying into your gut or face, vs $40 for a new bit? Easy decision for me.
    +1. No question.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Trash it. Ain’t worth the downside risk as others here have made clear.

same as cameron used damaged hogging bits many times other than cut quality its irrelevant there was no flying carbide. Hogging two sheets of ply glued together and aggressively.

I used it for my build; my use is now over, so I can decide to trash it or .....
    Now, if it were a mere $40.00, I wold have not even hesitated, but in Vancouver the price to replace that bit is $112.00 plus taxes. In fact, the High Speed Steel bit I bought, thinking it was my alternative cost me $45.00.
    Anyway, now the project is over, the carbide bit will be gone anyway.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.